FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jamez
Dionaea like deep pots. Longer roots mean bigger plants. So why don't we get these? They are a bit on the expensive side but they're worth it.
http://www.yessupplyco.com/brody_cylinders_colored.htm

My plant is to drill a five-six holes in the bottom, and put ONE plant in ONE container. Saves space yet helps. Be careful drilling in glass. Anybody was help with the race to get skinny tall pots?

Post away!
By jamez
*Lightbulb* I just got back from HomeDepot and I got some PVC pipe. It is 2.75" in circumference. I bought 30 24" tubes.

First, I cut the tubes into 8" each , so I had 90 tubes.
Second I gt some thin plastic and made circular shapes all over them with one of the tubes. I cut all of those out with a razorblade.
Third, I made holes on the circles.
Fourth, using some silicone I sealed them on the tubes/pots.
Fifth, I took a knife and opened the holes.

(OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED)

Waterslide Decals. VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! I put those on the upper half of the pots for labeling.

And I had tall pots that saved space!
By Veronis
jamez wrote:(OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED)

Waterslide Decals.
:lol:

Nice.
By Steve_D
What is a "waterslide decal"? Any web links to them?

Jamez, one of the problems with transparent or translucent containers is that they allow sunlight to pass through and heat the growing medium and root zone. I have killed a few Venus Flytraps this way. Glass and clear or translucent plastic make very efficient solar ovens. :)
By jamez
Hi Steve, the pots aren't clear they are white just for that reason. White stays cooler.

Here's your link: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Clear-Ink ... B0013P6VX6
You print on them, spray them with something that will stop the ink from leaking/spreading, and you dip them in water(its clear plastic on top of paper). Then you turn the paper side to you and slide it and the plastic part will slide onto the container. I use a decal sealant before I put it on and after I put it on. Then Let it dry. Its were thin. I also love LEGO, and people use it for that. There are two kinds too. One you want make white areas, one you can't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ne8tcRWkW4 There's a tutorial too.
By Steve_D
Thanks for the link to the waterslide decals, Jamez.

To label my pots of plants, I use a white polyester label stock and print it with a laser printer. It's self adhesive, waterproof and fadeproof (because laser "ink" is actually powdered plastic fused to the paper or other printed material). I get the white SL105 labels from Sheet-Label.com. They have clear plastic weatherproof labels as well.
By HarrisAz
its hard to find pots which is tall and skinny in malaysia.most of them if taller means bigger diameter.my vft root is too long.very hard to repot.
By heathenpriest
Here's an option I found: https://www.directfloral.com/productdet ... =453055461
They're plastic, so drilling drain holes should be easy. They're also pretty cheap at a little over two dollars each (plus some shipping). They're the right color, and at 10 inches tall, they should work pretty well for VFTs. Normally, I just use white plastic wastebaskets for my own purposes, but these would be nice to sell or give away.

I thought about PVC pipe before, but if you get 3 or 4 inches in diameter to give the plants some room to grow and multiply (and hopefully not tip over so easily) it gets more expensive. I've wondered about large bamboo. If I knew someone who had it taking over their yard, I'd offer to "prune" some for them!
Last edited by heathenpriest on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve_D
heathenpriest wrote:I've wondered about large bamboo.
That's another one of your great, creative ideas, heathenpriest. Bamboo would make really attractive and utilitarian containers for Venus Flytraps. If I can find some bamboo at least 2-3 inches in diameter (here in almost desert eastern New Mexico, but hey, bamboo seems to grow anywhere it's given water, including near to (and clogging) septic tanks), I'm going to try some! :)
By Sway
Steve_D wrote:
heathenpriest wrote:I've wondered about large bamboo.
That's another one of your great, creative ideas, heathenpriest. Bamboo would make really attractive and utilitarian containers for Venus Flytraps. If I can find some bamboo at least 2-3 inches in diameter (here in almost desert eastern New Mexico, but hey, bamboo seems to grow anywhere it's given water, including near to (and clogging) septic tanks), I'm going to try some! :)
ahahahahaha if it smells like poo poo tell us too! :P
By jamez
This conversation is about TALL, SKINNY PLANT POTS. Dionaea tend to grow very long roots when given the space, the more roots the more plants, and leaves. The problem with circular/square pots is they make it easier to keep wet, while Dionaea like their soil moist. Since the pot would allow water to seep further down the pot, whilst the short pots would allow the water to go anywhere.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!