FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TheAlmightyDoge
Hey guys, I made some root cuttings from my D.capensis and D.aliciae yesterday, but I have never done this before. Do I need to place them into a plastic bag for humidity or is that not necessary? Also, how long does it approximately take until you see the new growth coming up? Any tips are welcome :)
By Arizona Flytrap
Never done Aliciae, but as for the capes all I can say is you like weeds huh LOL! I got so many capes I don't feel to guilty for killing them on purpose, which even that is hard! You can sow them on peat moss or sphagnum and put it in a bright (no full sun place) under strong grow lights is best. Put a clear plastic cup over them and they should take off in a few weeks. Just remember to adjust them to lower humidity slowly or they could collapse. You can do that by using a paper hole puncher and turn the cup into swiss cheese over a period of a couple weeks. It's also good to spray the growing media with a sulfur based fungicide. I use a product called Safer.

Good Growing
Jason
Arizona Flytrap liked this
By TheAlmightyDoge
Thanks for your reply :D Nothing happened to my capensis root cuttings so far but I used the same "technique" on my D.nidiformis and D.madagascariensis cuttings and they are starting to grow very fast. I first held all my sundews in my terrarium but mold almost killed my mature D.madagascariensis and D.nidiformis so I took their roots and planted them again. These probably started to grow first because these are the full root systems of the whole plants, whereas the capensis cuttings are smaller roots.
By TheAlmightyDoge
Update: It succeeded and this is how the plant looks now :D It already produced an offshoot (at the bottom of the leaf on the left which is laying on the soil). I'm sorry for the tilting of the image
Attachments:
20140603_135605.jpg
20140603_135605.jpg (465.77 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
20140603_135600.jpg
20140603_135600.jpg (485.47 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!