FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
Secretariat73 wrote:Beautiful! The only flytrap I have producing that kind of color intensity right now is Wally, and my Wally's traps do not look nearly so gorgeous. Very nice!
Thank you. You know how we fuss over these plants. We have had 2 weeks of 95 to 100F. My fly traps are getting crispy and a little warped. But I did put the 2x2s under the trays to get them off the hot deck and gave them a hour less of afternoon sun.
I think I am just having good luck. Like KK. He just has a green thumb and can get plants to grow easy where others struggle.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Jagasian wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Why do some say they don't have red traps in the hot Summer?Image

What state are you in? I grow indoors and so I get red and even deep purple traps all growing season. Even the cilia on some traps turns a metallic purple color.
988B5B73-F28B-4BB6-B4AB-B44CF1948B78.jpeg
BTW. Those are looking great jagasian.
I wonder if there is some data for how strong the sun is in different areas? I know you grow inside. Thanks

By FlyTrap Hunter
riveraXVX wrote:we don't have a lot of red in most of our flytraps outdoors in NC at the moment a few are deep red, last year we also didn't get much red until fall but once things started reddening up they got deep dark red, our darkest at the moment is 'brutal shark' that plant is gorgeous!
That Brutal Shark has always stood out.
In the first picture at 12 o'clock is a Purple Ambush. I hope yours looks like that. Here is another picture of several Purple Ambush.
Here is a 2nd picture of a few seed grown.
And the 3rd picture of some all green varieties. The monster green fly trap to the front right is a Grun. Right now the biggest traps are 1.5 inches. The closest to that is the Maroon Monster, Wally, Sawtooth x Parahna and Dentate Traps.
The 4 at the front are Wacky Traps, Green Wizard, Justina Davis and Grun. The only fly traps that I have that are not red are inmature. I won't talk about this much more because I don't want to just frustrate some people. ImageImageImage

By FlyTrap Hunter
bananaman wrote:The reason I say they don’t color up well in high heat is because they objectively don’t in my experience. All my flytraps are colorful in spring/winter/fall, but once we start breaking 95° (which is usually end of June until early September), the traps are a lot more poorly colored. They still grow well, the traps just don’t last very long and don’t color great. I’ve observed this behavior for years.

Here’s a quick comparison set of photos. These are seedgrowns. In the winter, some of them even get red on the outside of their traps.

April 28th — no great color because of cloudiness, but some color is there. Previous month average high/low: 79°F/55°F Highest temperature in previous month: 89°F

July 11th — not colorful, despite quite a bit more sunlight than in April and far, far less cloudiness. Previous month average high/low: 96°F/76°F Number of days over 100° in previous month: 12

Admittedly, I can only really give my flytraps mostly afternoon sun, which is much harsher than morning sun. But still, they simply don’t color up particularly well when it’s over 95° for more an extended period of time. Admittedly, average temperature may have something to do with it — not just high temperatures.

It’s even noticeable on my solid red flytraps — they’re much more colorful when it’s not hot.
Hey Bananaman. Where do you live? I wonder what your night time temperature is? I had my fly traps where they could get afternoon sunlight but only half did well and the sunlight seemed too intense, so I moved them to the back of the house and they get mostly morning sunlight. I really don't know why my fly traps get red. It was 91F today but 68F tonight.

By bananaman
I’m in Central TX. Nighttime temperatures in the summer are mid 70s (as you can see from the averages I posted) — it’s actually pretty rare for the nighttime low to be below 70 in the summer (it happens ~10 times between June, July, and August).

For instance, today, the high was 97° and the low in the morning was 77°. That’s basically normal for most of July and August. As I write this, it’s 81°at 12:40 am or so.

I do realize my flytraps would do better somewhere where they get most of their sun earlier in the day. I’ve measured the temperature of the soil surface of their pots at over 130° before during the hottest part of the day. But, they still grow pretty well for me — the summer slump is compensated by the fact that the growing season here is quite long.
By FlyTrap Hunter
bananaman wrote:I’m in Central TX. Nighttime temperatures in the summer are mid 70s (as you can see from the averages I posted) — it’s actually pretty rare for the nighttime low to be below 70 in the summer (it happens ~10 times between June, July, and August).

For instance, today, the high was 97° and the low in the morning was 77°. That’s basically normal for most of July and August. As I write this, it’s 81°at 12:40 am or so.

I do realize my flytraps would do better somewhere where they get most of their sun earlier in the day. I’ve measured the temperature of the soil surface of their pots at over 130° before during the hottest part of the day. But, they still grow pretty well for me — the summer slump is compensated by the fact that the growing season here is quite long.
My Traps were not this red last Fall. I didn't have really red traps until this Spring. The only thing I changed was using Maxsea and I noticed a dramatic coloring up to the traps after. And as I said before I stopped using it because it was burning my plants. I did flush the soil really well also.
The temperature is 65F this morning. High is 90F. I noticed earlier this year that my traps got redder from cold drops into the 30s and 40s. They were green before.
By bananaman
Eh, I’ve grown them for nearly a decade here, and they still do great. Sure, the traps aren’t quite as colorful as I’d like in the summer, but that’s seemed pretty much unavoidable to me. But they’ve still got good size to them and put up many of them.

They color up fantastically the rest of the year if it’s not cloudy. My guess is our warm summer highs (usually upper 90s) and warm summer nights (mid-upper 70s) just keep them from coloring up great.

My flytraps can color up decently in the summer if we have an extended cooler period in the summer where it doesn’t get over 95 — but those are uncommon once June passes. If we have an unusually warm June, like this year and last year, the not so good coloration starts earlier.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!