FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By that-smith-kid
So first off, I'd just like to post about the success I'm having thus far with fertilizing my FTS seed sprouts and my mixed sundew sprouts. About two weeks ago I started fertilizing them (after a bit of research) and made up a gallon of distilled RO water with 1/4 tsp. of Miracid (Miracle Grow's 30-10-10 acid loving plant fertilizer). I decided to go all in and just water my entire CP nursery tank with it (which is 16 VFT seedlings, ~60 assorted sundew seedlings, and my friend's sickly young cupped trap). And so far, the results are fantastic! In the last two weeks the Drosera have all more than doubled in size, and my flytrap seedlings are putting out a lot of new growth with upright stems, broad leaves, and good sized traps (for a seedling). And even the sickly cupped trap, which has had no new growth since this summer, has shaped up and started producing new growth from the base again!

And so now my question: I used dead sphagnum moss mix for my seedlings. However, since I started using this fertilizer, I've noticed little green bundles like smaller versions of these:
Is it possible that I've revived some sphagnum or perhaps the acidic fertilizer allowed some spores to grow? How fast should I expect the sphagnum to grow? Is it any threat to my seedlings?

Thanks!
-that-smith-kid
By ziko88
The only threat is if it out gorws them and covers them.
If you're using just dried Sphagnum(not the stuff that is heat dired) it's always possible for it to come back to life.
good job, keep at it and keep us posted!
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!