FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By thelarge
Hi Iam a rookie to tc.I got started by wacthing frank on a you tube vid on how to tc nepenthes.After doing a little more reserch, I got all the things I thought I needed to do this even built a glove box to do the work in.After a year later I have had limted success.I uploaded a picture.The question I have, is now what? Can I try to multiply them.And how would I go about getting the bigger one into regular soil without killing it.Or can I multiply it so I could get clones?I have no idea on the steps too use to do these things?How long can they stay invitro before they die.Thank you for any response if any.
Attachments:
phone 178.jpg
phone 178.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
thelarge liked this
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare!
thelarge wrote: Can I try to multiply them.And how would I go about getting the bigger one into regular soil without killing it.
You can multiply them if you'd like. It's best to try to grow them to a pretty large size before putting them on hormones for multiplication otherwise you just end up with deformed tissue.

Potting out plants from tissue culture is a bit challenging, but the key is to keep the humidity high for the first couple of weeks until the plant's leaves are able to adjust to lower humidity and the plant can get better rooted to be able to take up moisture from the soil. However you can keep the humidity high will work. I usually bag the plants (put plastic baggies over the pots) for the first couple of weeks. Sometimes I use a humidity dome.
thelarge wrote:Or can I multiply it so I could get clones?I have no idea on the steps too use to do these things?
Do you have any books? There are quite a few good ones out there that are good for beginners. My favorite is Plants from Test Tubes:
http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Test-Tubes ... 890&sr=8-1
thelarge wrote:How long can they stay invitro before they die.
As long as you keep putting them on fresh media every few weeks or months, they can stay in vitro virtually forever.
By ahicks51
In terms of de-flasking, you'll probably want to prime them with roots; that would be best achieved with rooting hormones (IBA, NAA, IAA, etc.) in the 0.1 to 1.0 ppm level- sometimes more. However, I have found that older nep cultures tend to throw much better roots even if there are no rooting hormones.

Otherwise, they should be treated as cuttings. There's a good chance those roots won't survive de-flasking anyway, so who really cares if they don't have roots? Treat 'em like a cutting.
ahicks51 liked this
By thelarge
Thanks for the advice.
Attachments:
nep.
nep.
more stuff 385.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
By Doomsday
I am pretty sure you can cut them apart and replate them into differnt jars to multiply them. Correct me if I am wrong, but you do this with other plants.
I think this is a different method than mu;ltiplying them with hormones.. Isnt it just like getting a bunch of already sterile explants?

Also,
which hormones would be best for multiplying all cp's?
I am usnig kinetin for shoot growth and seed germination atm. Is that good?
Doomsday liked this
By thelarge
I used 1/3 ms,1.0 ppm,25 grams surgar,6 grams agar and PH too 5.5-5.7.Iam sure there is a better media to use but this seems to work OK.This is the only TC that I have done, Iam resently trying the flytrap I put a couple cuttings in a diffrent type of media a couple weeks ago,everything looks good so far no contamanation yet and the small cutting still looks green. This is my second attempt well see how it goes.
Do you think if I cut the top of the new growth off the already stirle nepenthes and put it on 1/3 ms,0.5 Kineken, 30 gram surgar, 7.0 grams of agar with a PH at 5.7 I could get it to grow? It is very simular too what I used for the flytrap.
The nepenthes are not growing any roots.One of the replies says to just treat it like a cutting (bag them) The roots if any would not survive the deflasking. Do you recommend just to bag them then? Or try to put them in a diffrent media? :?:
Thanks for any responces or advise.
By thelarge
OK a little help here, I put this flytrap in about 3 weeks ago and I noticed it started to callus, as I was looking at it I noticed a small amout of white liqid around one side of the tissue almost looks like it lurched out of the cutting.I have kept a good eye on it and its not getting any bigger or expanding and has not changed in about 4 days.Question should I be concerned about this.And if so what should I do, Iam worried that it could be some type of mold if so could I try replate, it dosnt look like it is on the tissue.I uploaded a picure but its with my phone not the best pic,anyway if someone could give me a little help, that would be great! Thanks
By BradR
The picture is not really close enough to see much, but if it is white and creamy looking, it is probably bacterial contamination. If it is it will eventually spread across the media.

Brad
BradR liked this
By thelarge
I will try and take another picture. Do you have any suggestions or should I just toss it and try again? Should I put it in diffrent jar?
By BradR
It's probably a slow growing bacterium. Unless the explant is very valuable, it's usually not worth the time and effort to try to rescue the explant.

Brad

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!