FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sweetlouis121
I am currently in the process of putting my Sundew seeds through stratification. The directions called for damp soil and to put it in the fridge. While they were there, the soil froze. Is that normal during the stratification process and are they still going to grow?
By Adam
I'm guessing this depends on the type or sundew you have?
By afh928
is it a must to stratify d. intermedia seeds? i have heard mixed answers and i would like it if i didnt have to, but if it is 100% necessary i will. I figured i could just sow them with my d. capensis seeds and maybe have some luck? It will be within the next week or so.
By Matt
afh928 wrote:is it a must to stratify d. intermedia seeds?
I always have, but I don't know for sure if it's required. You should stratify some and not stratify some and see what the germination rates are. That would be great to know!
By afh928
i shall make it a project! I'll keep ya posted! i should have the seeds next week-ish. I ordered 15 d. capensis and some d. intermedia as well, like 40 i think.
By NZL
I think it's not required, but improves your success rate
By tael
@sweetlouis121: I'm not sure if freezing with effect it, but if it does, then it could already be too late. I tried looking on Google but I didn't see anything that would say it would harm them. If I were you, I would wait it out, and then when the 6 weeks are over, bring them out, and see what happens. If they come up, then great! But if not, we learn from our mistakes. What variety of sundew seeds were they, do you know?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. Good luck. :]
By afh928
i went ahead and sowed them a couple weeks ago when i got all my other seeds, i got impatient, lol. :mrgreen:

I'm sure it's a long shot but they were free so i figured why not experiment a bit, see what happens.

~a
By afh928
Well, my question has been answered!!! I just noticed that i have 6 D. Intermedia seedlings!!!

I started to stratify them but i got impatient and figured i might give it a try. I took all 35 seeds and sprikled them on top of a wet mix of about 50/30/20 peat/perlite/hort. sand and waited and i JUST found the seedlings. I split the 35 seeds up in 3 different small pots so hopefully more will come up soon!
By afh928
So it seems this may prove that stratification isn't necessary for some species? Or maybe a week was enough???

Discuss?! :D

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!