FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jakometes
Hi Guys,

We are about to start the stratification of the Sarracenia Seeds (S.Purpurea; S.Alata; S.Purpurea Venosa).

As we are new to this, we've done a little research online on how to stratify these seeds. We would like your opinion and expertise on these proposed methods. It has come up with this so far:

1) Place seeds in wet paper towel (using distilled water), spray with a mineral-free fungicide such as a Sulfur-based fungicide or Neem. Then cover in an air tight container or bag & place in the fridge for 4-8 weeks.

2) After the 8 weeks or so in the fridge, unwrap seedlings and let the paper towel dry out completely.

3) Place seeds on prepared mix (They have recommended 1:1 of Peat Moss & Perlite that has been rinsed in distilled water).

4)Depending on the weather, you can then place them inside near a windowsill if too cold outside, or put them outside if the temperature is no risk of frost for at least 4 weeks.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and it's the beginning of March - the weather has been cold for a few days & hot for a few days. Would you recommend putting the pots in a greenhouse once sown to keep the temperature at a more constant level?

Do you think this is a good time of the year to be propagating these types of seeds now?
IF NOT, then how long can these fresh seeds last for? And how do I store them correctly?

Kindest regards,
Jake & Jahna :D :D :D
By mkmplants
Good post, but:
I think that 8 weeks is so much for a good stratification. I use:
2 weeks for leucophilla, alata and psitaccina seeds.
4 weeks for flava, rubra, minor and oreophylla
6weeks for purpurea

It work well for me.
Cheers and good job :D
mkmplants liked this
By steve booth
Hi

I'm not sure of your temperatures or local conditions over the coming months, or what your winters are like, but given warmth and light they will germinate at any time of year and once growing seedlings can be kept in growth skipping the first dormancy period without a problem.

Eight weeks would seem a long time for stratification 4-6 being my norm, but it shouldnt harm them if it is already done.

Storage of seeds in a fridge in a dry airtight container (ziplock bag or similar) will keep the seed fresh for about a year, after that the germination rate starts to fall off, but they do still germinate in lesser numbers, I have no definitive period of seed efficacy in fridges I'm afraid.

Soil mix will work well, just get good quality peat with no addatives, same goes for the perlite. I dont rinse the mix but it certainly wont harm if you do.

Good luck
Steve
steve booth liked this

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!