FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Most people use a mix that has a lot of sand in it for potting pings. People also add dolomitic lime to the soil to raise the pH. That soil mix that you're using looks to me to still be a bit heavy on the peat to be appropriate for Pinguicula. I don't know what those huge white things in the soil are (I don't know what polystyrene is), but they aren't going to help much for small plants like Drosera, flytraps and Pinguicula.
Xterms wrote:Unfortunately the roots of two droseras got cracked into the media though being pulled out as carefully as I could.
Sorry to hear that :( Hopefully they recover for you.
By Steve_D
I understand that you can't find perlite nor silica sand where you live, which is why you're using the polystyrene ("styrofoam" in the U.S.) Try to chop the polystyrene into as tiny bits as you can (smaller than in your photo), and use more polystyrene and less sphagnum moss, to help break up the medium, displace more sphagnum and help the mix not hold too much water for too long.

Best wishes and good luck--
By Xterms
Thanks for your answers!
3 of them seem to survive, and most exciting is that the dying one hasn't got its root cracked! :shock:

I daren't replant them again since I don't want to kill more of them. I may try varying with watering, it might be a success, hopefully you agree. :)
By roey benjamin marcus
It seems like you really put a Image on your Drosera seedlings. It's ok, everyone makes mistakes. Just don't Image, they might still have a chance. And good luck with your butterwort.

What?

He used a suicidal emoticon too >_> .
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!