FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I've gotten a few packs of seeds from the seed bank. The first two I planted right away and have seen nothing yet. So I was thinking on holding the third pack and letting them sit in the sun all summer and see if that works. I just want to know how to keep them good till then. Do I just put them in the fridge like any other seed?
By KategoricalKarnivore
I would think putting them in the fridge would be your best bet. If left out, humidity and temperature fluctuations cause the seeds to “age” faster. A constant low temp should keep them in better condition.
By Fly Trap Hunter
I have heard several people say they had better luck after they put the seeds in the refrigerater for 5 weeks, not the freezer. I just did that with sundew seeds from the ftc seed bank that were not germinating and they are germinating now.
By DroseraFan
What are the species that you planted, since when and what are your growing conditions?
the tuberous plants are a little more delicate, and sometimes germination is not fast.
This year I sowed a lot of species (I posted some photos of the seedlings), as d.peltata, d.auriculata, d.andersoniana that germinated in 1 month.
others like d.rupicola or s.macrophylla took at least 2 months I also sowed at the end of September (like other seeds) d.huegeli and d.gigantea seeds
they are just starting to germinate, it's been more than 90 days. It is therefore quite variable according to the species and the conditions.

Be careful the seeds of tuberose are not seeds of sundew trees like d.rotondifolia they do not have to keep them
in the refrigerator, but rather keep them at room temperature. In summer, in nature, they are hot and dry and it is the return of freshness and humidity that triggers germination.
By Hungry Plants
DroseraFan wrote:What are the species that you planted, since when and what are your growing conditions?
the tuberous plants are a little more delicate, and sometimes germination is not fast.
This year I sowed a lot of species (I posted some photos of the seedlings), as d.peltata, d.auriculata, d.andersoniana that germinated in 1 month.
others like d.rupicola or s.macrophylla took at least 2 months I also sowed at the end of September (like other seeds) d.huegeli and d.gigantea seeds
they are just starting to germinate, it's been more than 90 days. It is therefore quite variable according to the species and the conditions.

Be careful the seeds of tuberose are not seeds of sundew trees like d.rotondifolia they do not have to keep them
in the refrigerator, but rather keep them at room temperature. In summer, in nature, they are hot and dry and it is the return of freshness and humidity that triggers germination.
I planted some D. Macrophylla and some D. Yilgarnensis seeds and so far no luck but still hopeful.
By mo_carnivore
I planted Drosera auriculata and Drosera lunata seeds around a month or so ago and I'm just starting to see signs of germination. I think I'll hold out on planting my other tuberous seeds though, it's too risky if they take a long time germinating and don't have a long enought first growing season to produce tubers.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!