FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
Hello! Most of my seedlings are starting to take off so I figured now would be a good time to show off! Some of the colors are wonky due to the camera not knowing what color to correct for. It looks almost white in person. The D. binata's flower stalk is knocking it back, but I'm not going to trim it for a bit. Id like to get some clones from it, and I'd also like to get some flower photos. Will the strike rate be good after it flowers? The only seeds not going yet are the B. gigantea, D. gigantea, D. capillaris (just planted), and most of the sessilifolia (minor disaster when the jiffy pot fell apart)ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Panman
Looks good. I really need to come up with a good way to label my seedling pots. Sharpie on the outside of the yogurt cup isn't working for me.
By murrkywaters
The jiffy pots I order came with 100 plant tags. The uv is starting to wash out the sharpie, so I need to figure that part out still

By murrkywaters
*Ordered mobile prevents me from editing my typos

By Apollyon
The binatas I propagated have been flowering relentlessly for months. Say I cut a carnivorous leaf off, I'd have it strike along the leaf at 15-20 points. I had them growing in test tubes of distilled water under my grow lights. I transplanted into LFS with a bag and I haven't really messed with it since but I'm guessing 80% of them survived(other parts the leaf ended up breaking down too fast). The strike rate will be fine if you do it now or later. Idk how it flowers indoors. Did you grow them from seed?
By murrkywaters
I did not grow the binata from seed, I bought it off of @Nepenthes0260 when I got the Heli hybrid.

By murrkywaters
The binata flowered! I'm probably just going to trim it and use it to propagate some more later tonight. I also figured I'd throw in some pics of my best Byblis examples right now.ImageImageImageImageImage

Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Nice work! The Byblis are coming along. Let me know if you get a strike from the flower. I didn't have much luck from it. I did however get multiple strikes from the leaves.
By murrkywaters
I've watched a video where someone got it to strike just by planting one upright. If it fails, oh well. I'm debating whether or not to give it IBA, GA3, B1 or some combination thereof.

Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:I've watched a video where someone got it to strike just by planting one upright. If it fails, oh well. I'm debating whether or not to give it IBA, GA3, B1 or some combination thereof.

Really? I'll try planting them then. I chopped them up and kept them in tubes of water. It kept them alive for a time but that's it. Wouldn't know about IBA. That's usually used on dormant nodes to send out roots. Think some people use it on Nepenthes. Try it out. I do hear cuttings spawned from flower stalks tend to be more robust but fewer in number as opposed to numerous leaf cuttings. I just never had any luck with it.
By murrkywaters
I decided just to put in into the soil directly. I probably should have put some cinnamon on it, but I figure with any luck it will flower again.

By murrkywaters
No luck with the flower stalk, but I have tons of little drosera seedlings, including this! Also my B. gigantea has sprouted.Image

By murrkywaters
It's hard to tell but the two green flecks are individual plants, each with a carnivorous leaf! The winter growing aussies like the climate here!

By Nepenthes0260
Congrats! B. gigantea and D. glanduligera are a couple amazing species. If you've ever got either of them available, please let me know :D.
By murrkywaters
I should if they flower. I've got enough going to keep the gene pool diverse. D. glanduligera is annual so with any luck I'll have seeds by summer.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!