After having no success for over 2 months, I decided to put my entire container of D. indica in a gallon ziplock bag with distilled water at the bottom to increase humidity. I saw germination of the seeds in under 1 week. I am always
going to use this method when growing from seed, moving forward.
I did a little reading on D. indica, and found that they experience a wet season of growth where they are essentially drenched. Then during the dry season in Australia, they mostly die back, and are grown the following year from the seeds they drop. In hindsight, I would have made my medium using more silica sand, as that would replicate their natural environment more.
Here are the little seedlings as they look today (I have about 10-20 so far):