FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello, I have seen this term “stable” when speaking about new cultivars, but what this stable word means regarding to flytrap?

Is it about the special characteristics may be just seasonal and not constant or just appeared once by luck? Or is it about dying later on its life?
By Sundeewz
I believe that a stable cultivar is a cultivar whose seeds will consistently show characteristics exclusive to the cultivar.
By evenwind
A stable cultivar would be one that maintains it's uniqueness from year to year and through vegetative propagation. BTW, VFT seeds are not expected to duplicate the parent plant anymore than your kids are clones of you. Cultivar seeds are not considered the same cultivar even though you'll constantly see ads that imply they are ("Wally seeds for sale!") .
By Sundeewz
evenwind wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:52 pm A stable cultivar would be one that maintains it's uniqueness from year to year and through vegetative propagation. BTW, VFT seeds are not expected to duplicate the parent plant anymore than your kids are clones of you. Cultivar seeds are not considered the same cultivar even though you'll constantly see ads that imply they are ("Wally seeds for sale!") .
Oh, my mistake.

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!