FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By stitz25b
personally i dont like feeding my plants with artificial goods
and being in england near woodland i was wondering if springtails would be ok to feed droseras.
By dan d
I don't know why not, I feed them to my dart frogs and they are doing fine. They eat mold & decaying matter so if one escaped it would do no harm.
Dan
By stitz25b
good reason to use them but im worried the shell would stop the plant digesting it
By dan d
stitz25b wrote:good reason to use them but im worried the shell would stop the plant digesting it
Hmmmm........ I know there are different kinds of springtails, the ones cultivated for the dart frog hobby don't have a shell that I'm aware of. You might want to double check my advice.
Dan
By stitz25b
i can try and catch some and i can tell that way
maybe set up a small nursery for them :)
By dan d
stitz25b wrote:i can try and catch some and i can tell that way
maybe set up a small nursery for them :)
I raise springtails for my dart frogs, use a small container, about half full of large size aquarium charcoal and keep it very moist. Feed em mushrooms and yeast and they multiply like crazy. Google dart frogs & springtails and you will find a lot of info.

Dan
By Daniel_G
I've had springtails pop up in most of my pots, along with Fungus gnats. Both are great food for Drosera!
By KingCam
dan d wrote:the ones cultivated for the dart frog hobby don't have a shell that I'm aware of.
Where did you acquire the springtails you keep? Do you think I could find any in the wilds of Missouri? :P
By dan d
KingCam wrote:
dan d wrote:the ones cultivated for the dart frog hobby don't have a shell that I'm aware of.
Where did you acquire the springtails you keep? Do you think I could find any in the wilds of Missouri? :P
I got my springtails from an online source called Josh frogs, just google that, I think a kit costs $7.00 (maybe less) google Josh Frogs and you will find everything you need to know about cultivation springtails. I think he even links you to YouTube videos on how to do it, at least he does for the fruit fly cultures and springtails are twice as easy. You will learn more there than I can type here.

Dan
By dan d
dan d wrote:
KingCam wrote:
I got my springtails from an online source called Josh frogs, just google that, I think a kit costs $7.00 (maybe less) google Josh Frogs and you will find everything you need to know about cultivation springtails. I think he even links you to YouTube videos on how to do it, at least he does for the fruit fly cultures and springtails are twice as easy. You will learn more there than I can type here.

Dan
Link to springtails http://www.joshsfrogs.com/food-nutritio ... tails.html
Click on how to culture and it will take you to you tube automatically. You can also find all sorts of bugs to culture at Josh's

Dan

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!