FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
I currently have several Spotty stalk pieces in TC, and might have this going here soon. Mike King has a plant, and I will check with him to get his thoughts.
By Guillaume
I grow spotty since 3 years and it's clearly not a virus infected vft. The plant is very vigorous and divide well.
By Steve_D
Guillaume wrote:I grow spotty since 3 years and it's clearly not a virus infected vft. The plant is very vigorous and divide well.
Thank you for the comment from your own personal experience. If the general consensus was that the variegated coloration was not virus induced, then I would personally be interested in the plant at some point, but I would probably keep it quarantined, away from my other plants for a year or two while I tried purposely to infect a couple other Flytraps with liquid from Spotty's leaves just to see whether it caused variegation in those other plants, to prove to myself that it is not a virus. I'm just very suspicious and wary of plant viruses since my two previous experiences with them.
By Hayden
I have read through that forum, and it seems like nobody on there has complained about the spotty. Thats one of the biggest growers on their forum, so the spotty is fine :)

Weve got loads of evidence from everyone else too. But for a collector like Steve I would suggest to keep it away to proove himself too
By Guillaume
It s not a virus infected vft because leaf cutting did not produce variegated vft, the only wait to have spotted division is to cut the back of the bulb and let it produce new growing point.
By Steve_D
Guillaume wrote:It s not a virus infected vft because leaf cutting did not produce variegated vft, the only wait to have spotted division is to cut the back of the bulb and let it produce new growing point.
Since a leaf cutting is genetically identical to the parent plant, it should produce exactly the same growing form and coloration, correct?. If it does not, then something else (like a virus) is causing the characteristics in the parent plant.

So to me your argument sounds like evidence to support a conclusion that the plant is infected with a virus. If a leaf cutting does not display the variegation as it grows new leaves, then it may have been a new leaf that grew faster than the virus was able to spread into it (this is how orchids infected with a virus are treated, getting fresh new meristematic tissue and hoping the virus hasn't yet spread to it).
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By Guillaume
Steve, I will not try to learn to you anything about variegated plants because my english is very bad but I could told you than if you try to do leaf cutting with any variegated plants, not only a vft, the leaf will nearly never produce variegated new growing points.
By GothicJackalPaws
Guillaume wrote:Steve, I will not try to learn to you anything about variegated plants because my english is very bad but I could told you than if you try to do leaf cutting with any variegated plants, not only a vft, the leaf will nearly never produce variegated new growing points.
For plants where the variegation is genetic, it will almost certainly create the same.

Where it is a virus, on the other hand...
By dantt99
Wow a 2 year old thread??? :P
By GothicJackalPaws
dantt99 wrote:Wow a 2 year old thread??? :P
It happens. XP
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!