FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By FrEaK
I am trying to buy and make my own soil media for my vfts. Which one do you guys recommend to be better suitable?
By mnwatson1
It's a highly personal choice, really. Some swear by a peat mix, others prefer straight lfsm. I personally like the lfsm.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By FrEaK
Do you know if lfsp and peat moss have to be rinsed alot before use?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
By FrEaK
Thanks guys for your help, I will try canadian peat moss

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
By cdelavan
I use a Canadian peat moss/sand/perlite mixture and have good success with that so far. I've heard VFTs seem to grow faster in LFSM but you have to pay attention to the moisture content and it's easier to have your plant suffer from either dehydration or rot using LFSM.
By mnwatson1
I'll say this about the lfsm: all my plants are in fair size pots, and they're pretty easy to keep just right. The smaller ones I use for germinating and my capensis though, are MUCH tougher to keep "just right"!!! My capensis isn't dewing for me right now because of it. (It was in a peat/sand mix.). I may repot it again to make it happier.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By Matt
mnwatson1 wrote:I'll say this about the lfsm: all my plants are in fair size pots, and they're pretty easy to keep just right.
That's a good point. The larger the pot, the easier it is to maintain a proper moisture level. If the pot is too small, it's almost impossible to keep the moisture level correct. But if the pot is fairly large, it's no where near as challenging.
By Kevonicus
I like to let the peat soak and then use what ever is floating in my mix. It helps with drainage. I like LFSM in large pots or using the tray method for my sarracenias. Just overall using larger (deeper) pot no matter what the media is going to be a lot better in terms of not having to water as often and overall health of the plants :).
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!