FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Gambit00
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what types of containers do you grow your live sphagnum in? I'm out of containers and gunna head out sometime today or tomorrow to get some. I have a huge plastic bin but there's no room for it indoors. I'm thinking smaller more flat plastic tubs that I can fit indoors. Right now it's in mismatch places. Do you put a lid on them? Or poke holes? How wet do you keep yours?
By Leathal_Traps
Any plastic container can be used to grow sphagnum, from yogurt cups to strawberry boxes. All you have to do is make sure it doesn't dry out
Leathal_Traps liked this
By Gambit00
Thank you for the advice Leathal_Traps, I'm also wondering would it be okay to try growing my sphagnum outside? It's 2 inches high, I would be growing it under a tarp to protect from full sun and I could keep 1/2-1inch of water and mist it at least once or 2x a day. Only thing is it's hot right now in CA. I do have a Nep growing in full sphag (dead kind) that I keep in 1in of water and the sphagnum has never dried out.
My live sphagnum, some form of red
My live sphagnum, some form of red
image.jpeg (828.52 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
By entropy81
So long as it doesn't dry out and you've got it thick enough (an inch or more I'd say) it should do OK outside. Might not like full sun though better to start in shade (or with your tarp).

I've grown it in bare plastic tupperware containers with no media and it does OK, container doesn't really matter, but it does better on a layer of wet peat. It grows best for me on peat in my terrarium with high humidity.
entropy81 liked this

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!