FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews
Hi I'm having some trouble growing sphagnum moss as a top dressing for my sundews. If you have any tips or methods for growing sphagnum please share them , also some pictures would be helpful to. Thanks .
Attachments:
IMG_20190416_084140.jpg
IMG_20190416_084140.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 7482 times
By TheTrapper
Ive grown sphagnum for many years and it grows well given its needs are met.
It likes to be thick not thin. So avoid spreading your moss thin as this will limit its ability to retain water.
It likes light all the bright light you can give it will be good it just doesn't like to be in scorching heat otherwise the tips may burn.
It loves humidity. High humidity is great for the moss.
It enjoys fertilizer just fertilize lightly and make sure that it is CP safe or you may be better having a separate grow tray just for sphagnum.
If you do fertilize it make sure to wash well before using on CP's.
It's not picky with temps found growing all over the world from the arctic to the Brazilian rainforests.
I grow mine in a growing tray with holes resting on top of peat moss that is in a larger tray and keep the peat always wet. The moss will draw up the water via capillary action, just like the tray method of watering. Hope this helps Good Growing!
By Sundews
Thanks for the reply . I think my moss needs more humidity. In that case how do I raise the humidity without the pot being water logged?
By TheTrapper
You could dome the pot. This would raise humidity drastically. You could use a humidifier. You could also use a pan of water in front of a fan. the wind from the fan will energize the water molecules on the surface causing evaporation. The evaporated molecules will fly through the air( creating humidity). The fan will give you the added bonus of adding air circulation reducing chance of mold growth.
By Sundews
I just started misting and I think it's been helping. I can't use a dome because the sun will over heat the inside of the dome. Also I may try the fan idea with the water tray method. What do you use to raise your humidity?
By Sundews
My humidity levels are at 50%, how high should it be? Here is a picture of my fan setup.
Attachments:
IMG_20190416_230110.jpg
IMG_20190416_230110.jpg (665.24 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
By TheTrapper
50 percent humidity should work well. The moss will take all the humidity you can give it (50%-75% is good) (75% to 100% is optimal) :) .

Additional moss Information
"Everything you ever wanted to know about Sphagnum and more :D "

The main reason that the moss likes humidity is because it is a true moss and has no root system. The moss relies on the moisture that it absorbs through its pores. Thus the higher the humidity the more moisture available to the moss and the less work the moss has to do to gather moisture. With an abundance of humidity the moss can focus on growth and less on preservation.

Sphagnum moss can go dormant. Sphagnum moss enters a catatonic like state whenever there is a drought and can survive longe periods of harsh conditions making it one of the hardiest plant species on Earth.
The dormancy is not a dormancy per se but more of a hibernation as it awaits better conditions.

Sphagnum moss is very diverse containing a vast number of species and variants across the globe.

Sphagnum moss has antibacterial properties! Sphagnum moss creates anti-anaerobic conditions and lowers the pH of soil creating a more acidic environment. This in turn inhibits the growth of many types of bacteria.

Sphagnum moss can and will divide rapidly in good conditions. Sphagnum moss can regenerate from any piece large enough to photosynthesize.

Sphagnum moss can hold up 26 times its dry weight in water. Making it one of nature greatest sponges.( besides the sponge lol)

Sphagnum moss is great at removing harmful airborne particulates and greenhouse gasses.

Sphagnum moss is a sporophyte producing spores in order to produce in contrast to seeds like many plants.

Sphagnum moss comes in a variety of colors ranging from deep green to red to nearly brown.

Hope you have "all the luck" when growing this botanical beauty.
Let me know if you need anymore help. :D
By Cross
TheTrapper wrote:50 percent humidity should work well. The moss will take all the humidity you can give it (50%-75% is good) (75% to 100% is optimal) :) .

Additional moss Information
"Everything you ever wanted to know about Sphagnum and more :D "

The main reason that the moss likes humidity is because it is a true moss and has no root system. The moss relies on the moisture that it absorbs through its pores. Thus the higher the humidity the more moisture available to the moss and the less work the moss has to do to gather moisture. With an abundance of humidity the moss can focus on growth and less on preservation.

Sphagnum moss can go dormant. Sphagnum moss enters a catatonic like state whenever there is a drought and can survive longe periods of harsh conditions making it one of the hardiest plant species on Earth.
The dormancy is not a dormancy per se but more of a hibernation as it awaits better conditions.

Sphagnum moss is very diverse containing a vast number of species and variants across the globe.

Sphagnum moss has antibacterial properties! Sphagnum moss creates anti-anaerobic conditions and lowers the pH of soil creating a more acidic environment. This in turn inhibits the growth of many types of bacteria.

Sphagnum moss can and will divide rapidly in good conditions. Sphagnum moss can regenerate from any piece large enough to photosynthesize.

Sphagnum moss can hold up 26 times its dry weight in water. Making it one of nature greatest sponges.( besides the sponge lol)

Sphagnum moss is great at removing harmful airborne particulates and greenhouse gasses.

Sphagnum moss is a sporophyte producing spores in order to produce in contrast to seeds like many plants.

Sphagnum moss comes in a variety of colors ranging from deep green to red to nearly brown.

Hope you have "all the luck" when growing this botanical beauty.
Let me know if you need anymore help. :D
I feel like I just heard a super dramatic speech. My want to grow sphagnum moss is renewed. I have some sitting in a dish under some grow lights. I think I'll look into larger dishes. So two questions, if it gets to be 80 to 90 degrees outside and I leave it outside and covered, will that be too hot? Or should it be in shade outside? And it grows up, not out correct?

Edit: I'm thinking a clear tote with a lid or I can do wrap. It's a semi frosted clear. I can do am inch of peat moss and that'll leave quite a bit of head space, two feet or so. I won't have any where near enough sm to fill or, so it'll have room to grow out as well. I can put it outside where it'll get direct sun for quite a few hours, but at this point, the temps won't go over 75 (which is only for two to four hours). When it gets hotter, I can move them to indirect sun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cross on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TheTrapper
@Cross the clear tote is a good idea if you decide to use that be sure to drill or punch holes at around your expected water level( to act as an overflow and prevent soggy moss). I'd say about an inch or so and if covering the moss do not place in direct sun as it will become to hot but instead place in an area that gets bright indirect light. 90 F is not to hot in itself but if covered and in direct light this 90F will be like 150F and will cook moss. be sure to add ventilation such as holes poked in the lid or wrap a few to allow for air exchange and keep the air circulating.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!