FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
Posts:  1296
Joined:  Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm
#73101
Apologises for image quality, i have el cheapo cam.
I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?

Image

And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
But i have no idea what the one on the right is.

Image

I bought them all in a small pot called "Mixed Pitchers" lol a few months ago and they have really grown , indoors too, but i didnt realise some Sarr. dont need dormancy, so im looking to transplant
them out of the VFTs, when i put the VFTs into a much colder area.

Any comments gratefully received.
Last edited by Jaws on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21346
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#73102
Jaws wrote:I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?
It definitely appears to be a S. purpurea or a purpurea hybrid. And ALL Sarracenia need a dormancy period.
Jaws wrote:And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
But i have no idea what the one on the right is.
Yes, it also appears to be some sort of purpurea hybrid. The on on the right looks like some sort of S. flava hybrid.
Matt liked this
By Jaws
Posts:  1296
Joined:  Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm
#73105
Matt wrote:
Jaws wrote:I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?
It definitely appears to be a S. purpurea or a purpurea hybrid. And ALL Sarracenia need a dormancy period.
Jaws wrote:And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
But i have no idea what the one on the right is.
Yes, it also appears to be some sort of purpurea hybrid. The on on the right looks like some sort of S. flava hybrid.
Thanks for that Matt , id read somewhere on the 'net Purpurea didnt, ill take your advice and just leave em to go dormant with the VFTs then.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21346
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#73106
Jaws wrote:id read somewhere on the ,net Purpurea didnt, ill take your advice and just leave em to go dormant with the VFTs then,
All pitcher plants native to North America (Sarracenia and Darlingtonia) need a dormancy period in the winter. The only pitcher plant species that don't need a dormancy are Nepenthes. Also, Cephalotus can do OK without a dormancy.
Matt liked this
By Idontkno23
Location: 
Posts:  203
Joined:  Thu May 20, 2010 2:47 am
#73627
The second picture looks like either a S. Flava or a S. Flava hybrid, it needs more light!

I'm not sure whether or not the 1st one is S. Purpurea, could look funky from lack of light.

Is there a way to get them into a sunnier place? They aren't going to really appreciate it when spring time comes back around and they are in the same environment as they were now.
By Jaws
Posts:  1296
Joined:  Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm
#73640
Im investing in an LED light to hover over them and boost the light , fluorescent fittings im finding get in the way too much.
The window is a massive SW facing one and im in a (supposedly) great area of England for sun (Cornwall).

They did go through a couple of transplants in May that may have bothered them a bit.

Ive said elsewhere but i dont think England indoors is that great for VFT/Sarr. (not tried a full south window, havent got one)
Anyone grown full colouration in England indoors out there (without supplementary light) ?
By sekler
Location: 
Posts:  437
Joined:  Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:37 am
#73643
Damn, it looks like you have a CP forest in your house !

amazing set of plants :)
sekler liked this
Sporotrichosis

It’s an advertisement bot.

How old can sarracenia seeds be?

I believe if stored correctly seeds will keep for […]

Yup. All were one plant.

LFSM Dormancy

Hi all, This will be my first dormancy with LFSM.[…]

My Kim Jung has actually caught a few ants success[…]

Verification

Leaf pullings/cuttings work with Venus flytraps, b[…]

Photo Contest

https://i.imgur.com/oinUcym.jpg deep winter htt[…]

Murk's grow list

Flava Flav was a founding member of Public Enemy.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!