FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
I could be wrong but those don’t look like spatulata to me. They look great though by the way. Good growing.
By KategoricalKarnivore
First off they look rather small and compact. And spatulata usually has a more gradual, smooth transition from lamina to petiole. Yours have rounded lamina that meet at a basically straight petiole. The arrow is pointing where I’m talking about. Spatulata usually just gradually tapers down at the point from the end of the leaf to the beginning. Do you have a picture of the parent plant?
Attachments:
F0FECD54-A2C7-4C77-81E8-0DCE24CBF8F7.jpeg
F0FECD54-A2C7-4C77-81E8-0DCE24CBF8F7.jpeg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 2831 times
By fattytuna
The species has a huge geographic range and is extremely variable. Leaf shape is a pretty unreliable indicator for this species (even in sydney alone you get huge variation from straight narrow leaves, to round leaves). This shape is actually quite common in a lot of the compact varieties of Drosera spatulata, for example this one growing wild in Hong Kong and this one from the New Zealand highlands.

That being said, the plant does sorta give out D. tokaiensis vibes, although generally speaking that species doesn't go as red (of course, colour is an unreliable indicator :P ). Regardless, you have a beautiful plant you should be proud of!
By mo_carnivore
I recently had to move the spatulata plants from under the Marshydros to under the T5HOs to make space for some pickier plants. The difference in leaf morphology is incredible.
No LED spatulata.JPG
No LED spatulata.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2636 times
Definitely spatulata!

I never knew how much a difference in lighting could change the form of the plant. Now that I have some extras of a few plants, I might be able to make a more controlled experiment out of it! Has anyone else had such a dramatic difference in their plants when they've moved the plants to a different quality/level of light?

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!