FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By WhereAmI
So my D. Spatulata which also happens to be the first sundew I bought a while back has just started blooming! the problem is that it seems to want to bloom in the middle of the night when i'm at home so by the time I get to work the next day the flower is already starting to close back up and the next one is beginning to bloom. I may end up spending the night at work one night this week just to get pictures lol. I've already missed 3 of the blooms on one of the 6 flower stalks so i have another 30ish to go :P Got the ones that already bloomed snipped off and stuck on paper ready to collect me some seed!
Attachments:
My phone camera is horrible but I caught one actually open today.
My phone camera is horrible but I caught one actually open today.
403955_10150966930768468_936744241_n.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Best picture I could get of this TINY bloom
Best picture I could get of this TINY bloom
552646_10150964987863468_1967728321_n.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Last edited by WhereAmI on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
By fattytuna
I think it would be better if you wait for the seed pod to have dried on the stalk before removing them :) Anyways, good work! Spatulata flowers only open for about an hour or so, so its a great thing to be able to see.
By tommyr
fattytuna wrote:I think it would be better if you wait for the seed pod to have dried on the stalk before removing them :) Anyways, good work! Spatulata flowers only open for about an hour or so, so its a great thing to be able to see.

Agreed! Spatulata flowers are REALLY tiny! Let them dry up first. They are also easy to start from leaf cuttings. Great little plants!
By WhereAmI
yeah after he said let them dry up I stopped cutting them off. I was just worried I would have the majority of my seed fall out before I could get to it. Not too worried about it now as I moved it away from my bonsai tree so I dont lose seeds in soil that will destroy them lol.
By fattytuna
Congrats on the pictures.
Even if you lose the majority of them, you will still have a decent amount since they're so prolific. Just try and keep them away air movement and they'll be fine in my opinion.
By CPcaregiver
Awesome! I'm going to order a spatulata today, and I hope I can bloom it a bunch!
(Yes, I know that means lots of food)
By tommyr
CPcaregiver wrote:Awesome! I'm going to order a spatulata today, and I hope I can bloom it a bunch!
(Yes, I know that means lots of food)

Lots of food is NOT needed. My Spatulatas are all INDOORS and I don't feed them all all. They bloom readily on their own with enough light! Mine are in a West window and some are under a T5 Light.
By fattytuna
tommyr wrote:Lots of food is NOT needed. My Spatulatas are all INDOORS and I don't feed them all all. They bloom readily on their own with enough light! Mine are in a West window and some are under a T5 Light.
That given, feeding them will increase their size, flower count and seed count. Many people (including me) use ground up betta pellets or dried bloodworms (both fish food) to feed them. Its convenient, cheap and has given me good results.
By WhereAmI
I have a ton of ants right out the backdoor to my office that leads to our picnic area, so food is free for these guys. When they first started producing dew they couldn't keep an ant on as the ant would just man handle himself off. Now its strong enough to hold them on. They also self feed themselves from the random weird bugs that infest south korea during monsoon season. Im super excited about the flowering as just 2 months ago these guys were looking super rough (Rescue plant from a grocery store) No dew, leaves drying up and flower stalks stunted and dying off before producing flowers. I think I have a before and after pic of them Ill see if I can find them.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!