FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
just seen this , is it not time for the US cp community to make your voice heard about reserving these plants known that there disapearing at a increasing rate !! , how about get some thing going , get to together and have a voice !! sarras as cut flowers from the wild !! , come on thats just nuts !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVVc1kx6_A[/youtube]
By jaester
Yeah and you know what sucks? There's always going to be a handful of people that will continue to poach plants and animals to the brink of extinction. It really pisses me off that humanity can never...EVER...do anything in moderation, even if our lives depended on it. Quite frankly, in the long run, we are just screwing ourselves. /end rant.
By jht-union
Thanks for the vid john,
I have been seeing lately many news about poachers recently(4 news by now), and someone took recently about 200 VFT's from their habitat. :( :( This is very disappointing, if i could do anything, i would certainly do it if i had the resources.
But since I am one of the few people living near the VFT's habitat, if we actually organize something to help protect the CP sites, I would be willing to try something out as a group.
But who would be actually willing to do this???

I posted something here a while ago about the endanger species, but apparently not many look into it, if more than 10 people actually contacted me about this, then we can start a group and we can create our own website for conservation of wild CP species. :)

Let me know, perhaps i will create a poll sometime soon to recruit some members and see what can be done.
:)
By PeatMoss
Cut pitchers don't have an overly negative effect on Sarracenia populations if harvests are properly managed:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthrea ... erspective

So, poaching has a negative effect on the populations of the plants, but!

The effects of habitat destruction have a much greater impact on the populations of plants since the entire population is completely obliterated.

In South Africa, Roridula habitat is destroyed to grow tea, tea that I am sure many CP growers drink, unknowingly contributing to the plants demise. In the Carolinas Flytrap and Sarracenia habitat is destroyed to plant softwoods to make paper, when recycled paper is just as easily available.

Luckily it is not to late. No matter where you live you can choose to support organizations like the ICPS and Meadow view biological research station.

Meadowview is one of my favourite cases, they find new habitats where CP's are growing and provide cleansing fires and the removal of overgrowth so the plants can thrive, they also plant new plants in different locations.

If you join the ICPS your membership fees are going to support conservation initiatives and help raise awareness about the plight of CP's, plus you get a newsletter and access to a seedbank!

To close, I leave you with some photos of a bog that was incidentally created after a forest was cut down. In the 1950's members of a local botanical society planted sundews and Sarracenias as well as other bog plants. This bog is on fully protected ground and is one of the finest examples of such environment I have ever seen.

Just remember to think globally and act locally. And never to give up! If we try hard enough, the remaining populations of CP's can be preserved as well as all the other unique species that share their environments!

Gabriel
PeatMoss, PeatMoss liked this
By snapperhead51
agree jaester totally , a hard to do thing when people are money short and economic climate ,people look for easy money , but some just do this to get extra for them self too not thinking of any long term consequence ,if only in moderation !!,

jht
its a problem every where to get people to help or interested to do some thing about some thing !! its never easy but may be contact some CP society's and see if they can do some lobbing on this issue ,may be a shot !!
some one has to make a Stand some where or its all gone , we are lucky here no one really knows about our rare tuber drosera and where they are so poaching is all most none existent
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By Daniel_G
My Mother has even seen Luecophylla pitchers in the local florist displays!

However, as peatmoss said, habitat destruction has a massive effect on these plants too.
Strange that we humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and then taking away the means of creating oxygen by destroying rainforests too.... (Not that many CPs grow in rainforest, save for Nepenthes)
By jht-union
>>>>>>>>>>>its a problem every where to get people to help or interested to do some thing about some thing !! its never easy but may be contact some CP society's and see if they can do some lobbing on this issue ,may be a shot !!
some one has to make a Stand some where or its all gone , we are lucky here no one really knows about our rare tuber drosera and where they are so poaching is all most none existent

John,

I agree that somethign most be done, but like you said, who will actually do something?
In this case, I will try to do by best to help out, and perhaps organized something through the http://www.ncwildflower.org/ which protects native plants from NC and of course in the list, there's the venus flytrap. Sarras...etc.

I think that as long as people are aware of these plants, then that's when we will start to see conservation.
By hegory
I will explain the biggest problem with stopping the destruction of CP habitats in the US, have any of you heard of a lobbyist? A lobbyist is someone who works for a company(often a large company). thier job is to take the Senators to dinner, where they will pay for the meal through the company, all the time "negotiating"(bribing) the senators, this in turn convinces the senator to vote in favor of a law to boost or protect that company. In this case it is likely that the companies destroying the habitat have thier own lobbyists. that is the lesser problem, The largest problem is this: The company that is destroying habitat, will undoubtably sale stock right? Well, when a Senator happens to buy stock in that company often some laws and regulatons of suspicious background begin to pop-up, in favor of that business, meaning that that senator agins from it.
And Just like on Disneys Alladin: "Ever heard the golden rule? He who has the gold makes the rules!"
sickening!

Greg
By Marine botonist kid
Let's start a page on Facebook. I can't afford ads but I'm sure someone could get enough support that we could make twitter pages, and other pages as well or we could just get anyone who legally has a plant to conserve it and once it has offspring to start introducing them to a safe protected place in the wild.
By parker679
Marine botonist kid wrote:Let's start a page on Facebook. I can't afford ads but I'm sure someone could get enough support that we could make twitter pages, and other pages as well or we could just get anyone who legally has a plant to conserve it and once it has offspring to start introducing them to a safe protected place in the wild.
Good intentions but introducing plants to the wild is a very bad idea. Unless you have a known location plant you would have no way of knowing where your specific plant came from and would risk polluting the locations gene pool.

A better idea is to join the NASC(North American Sarracenia Conservancy). They are one of, if not THE, largest organization in the US working specifically with Sarrs. Once you become more experienced you can even volunteer space and time to grow plants for them that have been legally collected from the wild and have location codes so they the NASC knows exactly where the plants came from.

Edit: NASC link for those who want it. http://www.nasarracenia.org/
parker679, parker679 liked this
Perlite from Ebay

do you guys have a recommended brand thats availab[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!