FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By coline
Wow that is impressive Wahter!
That is an used practice here, to leave lights on when you live. I'd say, as I never have lights on in other room than where I am, it is a really bad practice if people get to know your patern. That's why if I have to build a house I would add timers to specific lights with weird paterns.
By altemar
Wahter wrote:That really sucks, but I can relate; between the time I closed on my new house and the time I totally moved in, someone stole two bushes from my yard! After I noticed that, I would periodically sleep in my new house and leave the lights on when I was away.

My parents told me that their doctor had his Japanese maple tree stolen right out of the ground from his yard!!!

:(
wow....

i was planning on staying up tonight and waiting to see if the person dared to came back for more of my plants.
By beckhamlim24
Ouch! I bet you are feeling sad now. Cheer up ^.^ Maybe when you see the lady again, stalk her home and then look at her backyard.
By coline
tish wrote:Perhaps a lot of bells on the yard door or green house door. There is a motion sensor alarm too.

Fingered from my Google Nexus S
You know, that is a good idea, I had thought about it, about having a thin fishing line at 1m high in the yard, which at night would be almost invisible, connected to some bells or alarms with a timer so they only have electricity at night in case they are really loud, tha should work!
1m high to avoid any small animals to trigger it, as cats or racoons..
By xr280xr
That sucks. The only time I've left my flytraps in my front yard, I kept a very close eye on them cause I figured it would be too hard for some kid to resist taking one or playing with them. I'm actually nervous to have them in the back yard since we have a rod iron fence that kids could see them through. Even if you can't prove it, you can still confront the woman and ask if she took it and tell her why it sucks to have it stolen and suggest "whoever" stole it return it.
By tish
coline wrote:
tish wrote:Perhaps a lot of bells on the yard door or green house door. There is a motion sensor alarm too.

Fingered from my Google Nexus S
You know, that is a good idea, I had thought about it, about having a thin fishing line at 1m high in the yard, which at night would be almost invisible, connected to some bells or alarms with a timer so they only have electricity at night in case they are really loud, tha should work!
1m high to avoid any small animals to trigger it, as cats or racoons..
Next we are going to discuss how to set land mines on weight release, wooden spikes on string trigger, grenade pin sprang on string tension and bear foot trap snapping on spring release. :twisted:

sorry i got carried away :D
By Scuipici
Get a german shepherd and ppl will stay away from your house. As far as I know the problem is that most US citizens ( i supose you are one? ) don't have fence for their front yard....and when they have , they have those small white fence , that makes jumping in and snatch some plants very easy . In my large yard I have a big fence that you can have a hard time jumping in ...and on top of that I have a big black dog who bites everyone that is not in the family. Good luck to anyone who wants to steal my plants >:). Anyway sorry for your loss :(
By altemar
Scuipici wrote:Get a german shepherd and ppl will stay away from your house. As far as I know the problem is that most US citizens ( i supose you are one? ) don't have fence for their front yard....and when they have , they have those small white fence , that makes jumping in and snatch some plants very easy . In my large yard I have a big fence that you can have a hard time jumping in ...and on top of that I have a big black dog who bites everyone that is not in the family. Good luck to anyone who wants to steal my plants >:). Anyway sorry for your loss :(
LOL. i have actually have them there and no one has ever stole anything so i felt safe and well they stole one. I have a Miniature schnauzer but she sleeps in my room and it was really windy that night so she probably didn't hear or she did and barked but i didn't hear her. oh well im better now.
By Snap Traps
I'm sorry to hear about the incidents.

Altemar, I think that your vft will be in safe hands as the person who stole it obviously know something about them to only target the green dragon; most common thieves don't know the difference between cultivars. He/she also wanted it quite badly to be sneaking around in the middle of the night into someone's front yard. It is simple to see that he/she studied the greenhouse well to be able to spot a green dragon in the middle of the night (I am assuming the colour of the plant is relatively dark). You mentioned that the pot was from flytrapstore so maybe he/she knows a thing or two about cps.

Although the lady is a likely suspect, we can't assume that it was her who stole it. Next time you meet her, talk to her casually and think nothing about the incident. If she doesn't turn up, however, the likelihood of her being the thief would be increased.

People tend to steal plants if they think it is exotic or rare. In Wahter's case the Japanese maple is something rare and sought after. If you make the whole setup not as eye-catching then less people will notice your plants, fewer still will think it is rare. Surveillance cameras can ward off a few petty thieves but more unwanted attention could be attracted.
By CPgrower
Keep us posted! Sorry for the loss. I keep all my precious plants in the back with the privacy fence. Only the best for meeeee. Lol. I hadn't considered someone taking ones from my front yard. Just bought this house in November, and started moving things around as they started growing. I do know we have a plant snatcher near us. One of the local funeral homes had their bushes dug up in a series of nights!!!! Hahaha. Of all places... :shock:
By altemar
beckhamlim24 wrote:I thought of something. Put a mouse trap :lol:
Yea that's not a bad idea. Nothing new I have not seen the lady(suspect). And my plants are receiving about 8 to 10hr direct sunlight. As opposed to only 4 to 6 in the old spot. I cut all the flower stems. Just letting 2 flower to get some seeds. And my dutch, b52, and some typicals that I have in a big pot are fighting spidermites.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!