FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roey benjamin marcus
K, what's happening? My sundew is not producing dew. The D. Tokaiensis turned red, like, a few days ago. It's even growing a freakin' flower stalk, but no dew! I don't know whether to blame my cat or myself. I saw the cats drinking from the water in the tray. Could that be it? Eh, they never ate plants. Anyways, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I give them the right amount of sunlight, distilled water, etc. It's been over a week, too. I live in LA and my Droseras get lots of light, several hours. I put them in the shade during the scorching afternoon heat, though. I have a Tokaiensis and Adelae.Has this happened to anyone before? What is wrong with my plants? Do I have to cut the flower stalk off my D. Tokaiensis? What's a rainbow plant? Who can answer all these questions?
By matthewsmith56
what works best for my sundews is to put them under a glass vase to keep it humid I find most of the problems with not having dew is a lack of humidity you can get a glass vase at walmart for like $2.00 see if that works.

and your flower stalks should be fine
By sundewman
Here's a little info about D. tokaiensis.
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Dros ... ensis.html

Keep in mind I'm growing this plant indoors under fluorescent lights at the moment. This plant can handle 85 F and a bit higher just fine [ONCE THEY'RE ACCLIMATED TO IT] so if it doesn't have dew atm, that may be good to move it into the shade, but I normally don't do this with mine when growing outdoors.
Once adapted to full sun, it will likely have the most dew.
If it just turned red in the past few days, I'm guessing the flowering has slowed its growth temporarily and it was able to color-up during this time. Sometimes flowers can stress a plant out if its still adjusting to new conditions.
The cat should not be the problem.

By the way, a rainbow plant's scientific genus name is Byblis and the most common is Byblis linifolia
By sundewman
Normally you just have to let slowly get more and more sunlight/heat each day, while making sure that it never starts to decline. IE if a plant had never had much light before, you can stick it under full shade for the first 4 days, then move it to mostly shade/partly sunny for a week or so, then move it to mostly sun/part shade (my definition: 3 or 4 hours of sun a day and most of the rest of the day is fairly sunny but there are a few leaves or branches blocking major portions of the light. I don't have any all day full-sun locations in my backyard, so I just go straight to the mostly sun location.
If you want to try full sun, you may have to let it sit in a mostly sun location for a week until you see dew. Then you could gradually move the pot more and more towards a full sun location over a period of a week or 2 until it is basking in the full sun all day.

By the way, I just noticed a previous post- do not try misting the leaves. I know 2 people who tried this and it just ended up rotting away most of the leaves on the sundew. When they stopped doing this, eventually the leaves got dew and the leaves also stopped molding away so soon

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!