FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hello.
I keep noticing these red mite-like bugs crawling around my plants, mainly Venus Flytraps. They look like spider mites, but they're have a few differences. I've read that spider mites form small webs and are very hard too see. These bugs are very clearly visible, although tiny, and I have yet to see a web of any kind. They also like to venture beyond the plant and onto the pots and trays, almost as much as on the plants themselves when I do occasionally see them.

Are these spider mites that could cause harm? If so, what's a good miticide and how should I use it? I have neem oil if that can be used.
Thanks.
By DragonsEye
Before jumping on the poison bandwagon, figure out what you have.

Are the "bugs" in question a bright red -- even what might be described as a "screaming red" color?

You mentioned they're readily visible and so, for a mite, quite large.

How actively moving are they? Are they taking their sweet old time moseying from point A to B? Or are they rather quick with an erratic wandering path like someone who is late for work and has misplaced their car keys?

If they are bright red, large, and highly active erratic wanderers then they are red velvet mites. They are predators feeding on other mites, and other tiny pests. In which case, chill, and let the little guys do their job.
DragonsEye, DragonsEye liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
That sounds like them. Very distinctly red (kinda like your typing :D ) and erratic crawling, frequently checking small bits of matter before resuming.

However, when googling what a "red velvet mite" is I found some rather horrifying videos of mites way bigger to the ones on my plants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHYSIRCZ1c
By FlyTrap Hunter
[quote="DragonsEye"]Before jumping on the poison bandwagon, figure out what you have.
I like the idea of not killing everything so fast. Soil is alive with bugs, many symbiotic to plants.
Sounds good
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I agree. I'm fine with any amount of minuscule creatures near my plants if they don't bother them in any way. I was just concerned because I've heard that mites can do some pretty serious damage to plants if their not controlled.
By FlyTrap Hunter
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:I agree. I'm fine with any amount of minuscule creatures near my plants if they don't bother them in any way. I was just concerned because I've heard that mites can do some pretty serious damage to plants if their not controlled.
I have not had to use any pesticides so far.
But if I did I would not have a problem using it and definitely wouldn't feel bad. We cant use a insecticidal soap.
This one time I got some unhealthy plants with mites in them. One started looking unhealthy and I pulled on the plant and it came right out of the soil. The roots had been eaten.
I read you can drown the mites, so I submerged the pots in water for a few days. I then cleaned off all the dead growth on the plants and washed them clean, threw out the moss and repotted them and no more mites.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!