FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By doku
So a couple of people have wondered if its better to use small pots or large pots for flytraps. Dont know if someone already posted something about this, but here's my take. The picture here has three flytraps- the flytraps on the sides are around 3 years old from division, and the center one is going on its 4th year from seed, it has not flowered yet.

The one on the left was my very first flytrap and was grown in a 1 gallon black pot last year. When I bought it, it was around 1/4 of an inch across, just barely divided from the mother plant at the time. Before last year it had been grown in a regular green 4 inch round pot. While I grew it in the 4 inch pot, it would flower, grow, and divide like any regular healthy flytrap would, but the rhizome would stay around 1/2 an inch across, after dividing. This past year, when I grew it in the 1 gallon pot it flowered nicely like always, but the leafs were longer and the traps were bigger. And just yesterday when I repotted it I measured it at 1.5 inches across, just that single rhizome. It didnt divide as much as it has in the past, but to see how big and healthy it was was a really nice sight. The roots also reached all the way to the bottom of the pot, which is 6.5 inches from top to bottom.

The flytrap on the right was around 1/2 an inch when I first got it, which was early last year, I was told that it was 2 years old from division. I potted this one up in an 8 inch pot, 7.5 inches deep, along with 3 other flytraps in the same pot, one of which is the one in the center. This flytrap had rather large traps throughout the season, it actually rivaled those of my B52. When I repotted this one yesterday, it too had an awesomely big rhizome, 2 inches across and its roots reached the bottom of the pot.

The third flytrap in the center was obtained from a grower who grew it from seed and was 2 years old when I got it, early last year. I potted it up in the 8 inch pot next to the flytrap mentioned above. This flytrap was 1/4 of an inch at the beginning of last year. It did not flower, but produced nice traps. As the season went on, the traps got bigger, I figured the plant was growing rather fast. That was its third year. This year(starting its fourth), as you can see, the rhizome is pretty big. It is an inch across and I am thinking that it will flower.

Just thought i'd show everyone how much bigger my plants were from planting them in big pots.
Grown in
Southern California
Zone 9
No special treatment
Just:
Pure water
Peat:perlite
and lots of sun
Attachments:
CIMG2960.JPG
CIMG2960.JPG (68.49 KiB) Viewed 10648 times
doku, doku liked this
By linton
I have recently repotted the majority of my VFT collection and was also surprised by the size of some of the rhizomes - the longest measured 1.75" in length and was buried nearly 2" under the surface of the soil. The most surprising part is that they were all growing in 95mm square pots!

I do agree though that growing in a larger pot will give you superior plant health and vigor.
By doku
Thanks everyone. I know this section is for flytraps, but the same experiment with Sarracenia has a similar effect. They grow bigger and divide a little fast than in smaller containers and, depending on the species and your climate, you can extend their growing season by a couple months. S. flava, in places with hot summers, usually only pitcher for like 3-5 months and than go dormant. This stays true when I grew mine in small pots, but when I grew some in bigger pots, anywhere from a gallon to 5 gallon containers, they grew through the hottest parts of summer and pitchered normally until September where they began to slow down.
By Veronis
I actually decided to go to bigger pots this year as well. Thanks for the info doku!

Last year all my pots were about 6 inches deep and my plants (Sarrs and flytraps) did pretty well. This year they're in 12 inch deep pots.

I'll let you all know how it goes. :)
By seymorerocks
Ok. I'm new to this forum. I got my little buddy early spring from a museum. He flowered and is doing fantastic. Since he's growing so well, I got a bigger pot. Maybe a little 2 big. Not trying to over water him, but don't like how dry the new soil is. Giving it some time to see if he absorbs the water I put in the bottom base. Should I add water to soil as well?
By dantt99
WHOA those rhizomes are HUGE! :D :D
By Oblivion
seymorerocks wrote:Ok. I'm new to this forum. I got my little buddy early spring from a museum. He flowered and is doing fantastic. Since he's growing so well, I got a bigger pot. Maybe a little 2 big. Not trying to over water him, but don't like how dry the new soil is. Giving it some time to see if he absorbs the water I put in the bottom base. Should I add water to soil as well?
yes, if the top is dry you can spray water on the top to get it nice n moist.

sometimes it pays to gently top water the pot until a little water trickles out the drain holes, just so you know its completely moist.. but dont leave them wet and boggy if you have cold weather.
Oblivion liked this
By xr280xr
Do you think the diameter of the pot is a factor or just the extra depth for the root systems to develop? It seems like extra width would only maybe provide extra trace nutrients and insulation from heat.

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!