FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I took my plants out of dormancy a little over a month ago and everything is going great. but I'm a little concerned about one of my Big Mouth VFT's. All of my other plants are showing new growth. Some more than others, but they all have new traps popping up. Except my one Big Mouth.

In the photo's you'll notice that the Big Mouth VFT on the left has some nice new growth. But the plant on the right has no new growth at all. Nothing since it was removed from fridge dormancy. The plant looks healthy as far as I can tell. But I'm concerned about the lack of new growth.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated !
Attachments:
P1040259.JPG
P1040259.JPG (106.94 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
P1040258.JPG
P1040258.JPG (105.09 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
P1040257.JPG
P1040257.JPG (109.13 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
By Devon
Looks like you might have planted it a little too deep. but it's fine, give it time and it will grow. I once had a shark's teeth that looks like it has no growth point like that bigmouth, but to my surprise it started a new one and grew fine that year.
By Steve_D
I'm guessing that the Big Mouth is just between growth spurts. Either it hasn't decided to rouse fully from dormancy yet, or it has plenty of green leaf growth for now to support itself and store food in the rhizome for a growth spurt. Many times after a flower stalk has been cut from a Flytrap it will stall for up to a few weeks with no new growth. Sometimes such a lack of growth is followed by a tremendous amount of growth starting with a weird-looking mass of tissue that grows up to just above soil level with sometimes not fully developed leaves. This is a good sign (of very vigorous undifferentiated cell growth and lots of healthy growth to follow).

I'll bet that this lack of growth is just temporary and nothing to worry about. :)
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By iBaman
My typical is doing the same thing...sort of. Instead of growing out of the middle, it's decided to start it's new growth underneath another leaf. Silly plant ;]
By DTDream18
Unfortunately my Big Mouth Flytrap finally bit the dust. It never developed any new growth and finally the leaves all turned brown and that was it. I guess it never recovered from a deep refrigerator dormancy.
By DTDream18
pieguy452 wrote:Have you checked the rhizome to see if it was still alive?
The rhizome still looks white and healthy, but there is no root growth whatsoever. I did cut off the dead leaves and replant the rhizome however. You never know.
By Chhewy
Were your traps able to close before it bit the dust? My maroon monster is going through something similar and I'm also a little worried, but I'm thinking its just adapting to just being potted after being shipped bare root.
By 0rmus
Steve_D wrote:I'm guessing that the Big Mouth is just between growth spurts. Either it hasn't decided to rouse fully from dormancy yet, or it has plenty of green leaf growth for now to support itself and store food in the rhizome for a growth spurt. Many times after a flower stalk has been cut from a Flytrap it will stall for up to a few weeks with no new growth. Sometimes such a lack of growth is followed by a tremendous amount of growth starting with a weird-looking mass of tissue that grows up to just above soil level with sometimes not fully developed leaves. This is a good sign (of very vigorous undifferentiated cell growth and lots of healthy growth to follow).

I'll bet that this lack of growth is just temporary and nothing to worry about. :)
Thanks,

This totally explains this odd developing trap on my big mouth.
Pre growth spurt tissue mass.
Pre growth spurt tissue mass.
02042012549.jpg (378.9 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!