FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By hayproz13579
Hi.can i skip my vft dormancy since i live in the tropical region and no winter here?or does it has a way to make my vft go to dormant slowly?
By TS 1989
Skipping it once won't really hurt, but it will gradually die if you continously skip it. If you want it to go dormant, use the refrigerator method.
By pieguy452
Yes you can skip it once and they will survive (but won't grow as well as flytraps that did go through dormancy), but if you skip it twice they will likely die.
pieguy452 liked this
By katya_dog1
pieguy452 wrote:Yes you can skip it once and they will survive (but won't grow as well as flytraps that did go through dormancy), but if you skip it twice they will likely die.
This is what I've found. Pretty much the only plants that can have their first dormancy skipped with no ill effects are seedlings. After they get past a year old, flytraps really don't seem to like it if their dormancy is skipped. In my experience it makes them more susceptible to disease.
By hayproz13579
Then how can i make them dormant gradually?plus the tempereature at here quite hight.about 35°C.pls help me with some steps.tq
By Doomsday
hayproz13579 wrote:Then how can i make them dormant gradually?plus the tempereature at here quite hight.about 35°C.pls help me with some steps.tq
ON top of temperature, photoperiod (lights on vs lights off) affects plant dormancy, as well. You can start gradually lowering the amount of time the lights are on, to simulate summer changing to autumn in the dionaea's natural habitat.
By pieguy452
Do you have access to a refrigerator? Refrigerator dormancy is an option if your climate is not ideal for dormancy.
By hayproz13579
Yes i have acces to it pieguy.i just dont know how to gradually put them into dormant.and i use sunlight for my vft not artificial light.
By katya_dog1
First, I recommend you read this tutorial. It details fridge dormancy procedure. Next, if you decide fridge dormancy is not an option, then you may want to go out and buy a compact fluorescent clamp lamp. Decrease the photoperiod by half an hour each week starting in October. Go from 16 hours a day to fourteen, and then just drop it all the way to 10 or 12.

I've found that as long as you give them a month of graduated light, they don't mind and do just fine when you abruptly drop it two hours. If you are worried about that, drop the photoperiod by an hour each week over the course of a month. I just like to see good fall coloration on my plants, and so I do it more gradually for that reason.
katya_dog1 liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same thi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!