FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By yohann976
I think that the general consensus is that a flytrap grown from seed can skip its first dormancy, provided it's in the proper environment through the winter (i.e. lighting, heat, etc.). Now what about new divisions?

My son's flytraps have developed several new divisions this spring and I was wondering if it would be alright for them to skip their first dormancy this upcoming winter as well. I guess what I'm hoping is that the divisions would stay attached to the mother plant for most of the summer, which would perhaps give it a better growth rate (I'm not 100% sure if that's true). Then come the fall season, I would be able to separate them, let the mother plant go into dormancy and have the division grow throughout the winter.
By Robster_24
thats what I did last winter. my trap made 3 divisions and I grew them under lights through the winter. They are getting very big! was definitely worth it two of the plants are making bigger traps than the mother plant!
By Robster_24
Heres some photos for reference...

This is what they looked like in January when I removed them from the mother plant,

Heres what they look like today, (the red arrow is the mother plant.)
By yohann976
Oh wow. They look full grown already. Did you feed them in the winter months?
By Matt
They look good! When I've tried to keep flytraps growing through the winter, they usually stall in the summer at some point and all of the flytraps that received a proper dormancy far outgrow them. It will be interesting to see if you have a similar experience.
By yohann976
Matt wrote:They look good! When I've tried to keep flytraps growing through the winter, they usually stall in the summer at some point and all of the flytraps that received a proper dormancy far outgrow them. It will be interesting to see if you have a similar experience.
I had this thought in the back of my head. I took a few cuttings from my Chinese elm bonsai a few years back and grew them throughout the winter. The mother plant had its regular dormancy though. The growth of the cuttings was phenomenal for the first few months, but slowed greatly during what should have been their regular growing season.
yohann976 liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!