FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By akinkysnorlax
So this year I have not really been interested in letting my VFT grow flowers except for some that I really wanted to cross. In the photo below is one my typicals that is growing in a cluster(mature divisions). I have cut about 8 flytrap stalks out of the whole bunch but today I noticed that one of them is continuing to grow new stalks. Nevertheless, cutting off the flower stalks has been quite annoying at this point :D

Now, I have some other random questions regarding different varieties of VFTs:

1.) Does "Mirror" pass down its bizarre traits to its children? Or can Mirror only be cloned to keep its traits?

2.) Does "Long Red Fingers" have seasonal fusing of cilia that is more significant than other seasons? Similar to "Fused Tooth"?

3.) Does anyone know the parentage to "Triton"? Could it just be a "Cupped Trap x Fused Tooth"?

4.) When does the B52 create those upright traps on petioles that sort of look like a square on the end with the trap?

5.) Does "Louchpates" count as a fused distal end flytrap?

Thanks
By dantt99
Wow, you got a lot of flowers there! Nice :)

As for your other questions, I only know one of them for sure:
akinkysnorlax wrote:1.) Does "Mirror" pass down its bizarre traits to its children? Or can Mirror only be cloned to keep its traits?
No, VFTs are not guaranteed to pass down traits to offspring generated by seed. If you take leaf cuttings, divisions, TC, or any vegetative propagation you will end up with the exact same type of plant.
dantt99 liked this
By Matt
akinkysnorlax wrote:1.) Does "Mirror" pass down its bizarre traits to its children? Or can Mirror only be cloned to keep its traits?
I have some 'Mirror' x 'Mirror' seedlings and some of them do have the bizarre flanges and double traps. So yes, 'Mirror' can pass down its traits to its sexually propagated offspring. But not all 'Mirror' x 'Mirror' seedlings will have the trait and the trait may not be as pronounced as it is in the original 'Mirror' cultivar.
akinkysnorlax wrote:2.) Does "Long Red Fingers" have seasonal fusing of cilia that is more significant than other seasons? Similar to "Fused Tooth"?
Yes. In the spring the teeth are less fused, just like 'Fused Tooth'. It seems like all flytraps that exhibit fusing in the marginal spines show it less intensely in the spring than in the fall.
akinkysnorlax wrote:3.) Does anyone know the parentage to "Triton"? Could it just be a "Cupped Trap x Fused Tooth"?
I doubt it. 'Cupped Trap' doesn't produce much seed. My guess is that "Triton" is related to 'Louchapates'.
akinkysnorlax wrote:4.) When does the B52 create those upright traps on petioles that sort of look like a square on the end with the trap?
I'm not sure exactly what you're describing.
akinkysnorlax wrote:5.) Does "Louchpates" count as a fused distal end flytrap?
Yes, definitely.

And one thing to note: When talking about an officially registered cultivar, single quotes should be used around the cultivar name (i.e. 'Mirror', 'Louchapates', 'Fused Tooth'). When talking about non-registered cultivars (i.e. "Long Red Fingers"), double quotes are used around the cultivar name.
Matt liked this
By akinkysnorlax
Thanks for the answers and the info. I did not know cultivars and non cultivars had different ways of being presented. As for the #4 question, I guess a square is not a good way to describe it. I thought it looked square because the end of the petiole was flat and not circular like the rest of my flytraps. Like the part where the stem connecting the trap to the petiole is like a perfect 90 degree angle.

By Matt
That could be the angle in the photo making you believe that. I think that most B52 leaf bases are rounded like other flytraps. Occasionally they may be more "boxy" looking, but I haven't actually taken note of it before.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!