FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By t9gear
By any chance would someone here know where in Singapore you could buy some nepenthes plants. Gonna be there for a visit
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
I would first make sure you can even take them out of the country.
By t9gear
Fieldofscreams wrote:I would first make sure you can even take them out of the country.
Was gonna ship them back

By nimbulan
Nepenthes are protected by the CITES treaty, which places significant restrictions on international shipment of protected plants and animals. You need to make sure you know how to do it legally (and it may not be possible to, during your trip) before you attempt it.
By t9gear
Well I rather just skip the whole endeavor. Don’t wanna break any laws

By t9gear
nimbulan wrote:Nepenthes are protected by the CITES treaty, which places significant restrictions on international shipment of protected plants and animals. You need to make sure you know how to do it legally (and it may not be possible to, during your trip) before you attempt it.
I only could find 2 nepenthes on the list
Rajah and another one
Also as far as I can read only bigger amount of plants needs a permit.
Smaller amounts need inspection and quarantine at port of entry

By nimbulan
t9gear wrote:
nimbulan wrote:Nepenthes are protected by the CITES treaty, which places significant restrictions on international shipment of protected plants and animals. You need to make sure you know how to do it legally (and it may not be possible to, during your trip) before you attempt it.
I only could find 2 nepenthes on the list
Rajah and another one
Also as far as I can read only bigger amount of plants needs a permit.
Smaller amounts need inspection and quarantine at port of entry

N. rajah and N. khasiana are under much stronger restrictions, but all Nepenthes are protected by CITES. I'm pretty sure you need the appropriate permits (plant permit + endangered species permit) to import any number of CITES-listed plants, where as you discovered, with non-restricted plants you can import up to 12 at a time without a permit. I could be wrong, APHIS doesn't make this information easy to find.

The bigger sticking point however, is getting paperwork from the seller - a phytosanitary certificate and CITES declaration (basically certification that the plants were not collected from the wild.) It's typically rather difficult to get these unless the seller exports plants regularly. This may not be the case in Singapore, I really don't know.
By ChefDean
Keep an eye on the "Sales, Trades, and Wants - Other regions". There's often a member selling fresh seeds from various Neps and Nep hybrids. Harder than repotting a juvenile plant, but a way to avoid CITES, APHIS, and other restrictions.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!