FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By catstrap
Hello! Newbie here both to the forum and to growing CPs, finally gave in after many years admiring them from afar. I got a Dionaea muscipula from a corner plant shop roughly 3 weeks ago.

So far I think I've been doing good, I have managed to acclimate them to full outdoor sun and they are loving it, they keep putting out new big and red traps so I'm pretty happy I haven't killed it yet.

I need some help/opinion regarding repotting tho. I have read and was advised these plants wouldn't need to be repotted in the first year.
However I can see that they're already growing roots outside the drainage holes in the bottom and also i'm affraid the soil isn't draining as well anymore. I have my proper medium ready - I just wanted to know if I should keep it or not. I'm affraid keeping it like this for the whole course of summer may cause root rot.

For reference, min/max temps have been at an average of around 53-66F, in a humid climate. I'm based in Europe. Thank you in advance for any help!
By ChefDean
If the roots are coming out the bottom, repot. It will probably stall a little, but should bounce back fairly quickly.
Supercazzola, Matt, catstrap and 1 others liked this
By catstrap
ChefDean wrote:If the roots are coming out the bottom, repot. It will probably stall a little, but should bounce back fairly quickly.
Thank you so much! Repot is complete, just hoping for the best now. :)
ChefDean liked this
By steve booth
Roots coming out the bottom of the pot isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have the right size pots, obviously, a 5" pot will allow a bigger plant than a 3" or less. So have a look at your pot does it look too small? is the plant bigger than the pot diameter. VFTs always do better in tall pots preferably higher than 5".
Letting us know how big the pot is would help a lot.

Sorry just read to the end, you have repotted. Doh
Cheers
Steve

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!