Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By spector
st+xLHseQC6a2ZxDUTrq7g.jpg
st+xLHseQC6a2ZxDUTrq7g.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 1041 times
+2O+W8fMRvSfiPfl%Ub2VA.jpg
+2O+W8fMRvSfiPfl%Ub2VA.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 1041 times
I purchased a D. enodes and D. pulchella a few months ago. They were doing great, out in the same area as my VFT's, getting full sun over twelve hours per day. Then we had a ridiculously hot spell, and now both plants (or, rather, pots of plants) shriveled up, pinched up, and are looking like little white fluff balls, with just a hint of green on a couple. My choices are to either move them inside, where they will have slightly more reasonable temperatures, or leave them outside, since cooler fall weather is (hopefully) just a few months away. Considering both are temperate and don't need dormancy, but both are obviously IN dormancy, I am a little unsure of which is the better option for them. I was hoping they would be okay outside, since it appears this is something they do in nature during the hot summer, and I don't want to baby them unnecessarily, but I also don't want to kill them.

One of the D. enodes, btw, appears to be starting to grow again, so I am leaning toward leaving that pot where it is.

Temps are in the mid- to high-90's (F) right now and expected to remain there for the foreseeable future.

P.S. for bonus points, can anyone identify the little mystery in the lower righthand corner of the first pic? :)

Many thanks!
By Jeeper
Pygmy Drosera are native to Australia where there is a hot dry season and a cooler wet season. The defense mechanism they have evolved is to go dormant during the hot dry season. I grow all my pygmies inside under lights the entire year and try not to get the room temp over 80°. They will grow continuously in these conditions with little to no ill effect.

Bring them in, keep them wet and hopefully sometime around October/November you'll have gammae to make more plants if wanted.
Jeeper liked this
By spector
Thank you. I decided the day after I posted to bring them back in, so they have been sitting in my garden window since then. Good to know not to expect any activity until a few months from now, as I have been hovering over them, worrying about whether they will survive.

I repotted the mystery plant, and it appears to be some sort of Drosera. Looking a bit like a spatulata, but still a little early to tell.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!