FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By cryostasis
How long does it take a plant survive during shipping? Will it still be alive after 3 weeks of shipping? Planning to get a Drosera Capensis and as per seller it wopp be potted.

Sent from my BISON using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
A lot of it depends on how the shipper preps it. If it is reasonably moist, sealed in plastic, secured to not bounce around, it will likely survive, but look bad. It will need a little extra TLC, but should recover. Shipping it potted will help greatly in its travel and recovery.
The handling by the carrier is the unknown. As long as the package arrives intact, the plant should be OK.
Just a thought. If the plant will be shipped USPS, maybe delay getting the plant until they have an opportunity to catch up. They were extremely unprepared for Christmas shipping. I guess they forgot Christmas was in December, or it just snuck up on them.
By cryostasis
ChefDean wrote:A lot of it depends on how the shipper preps it. If it is reasonably moist, sealed in plastic, secured to not bounce around, it will likely survive, but look bad. It will need a little extra TLC, but should recover. Shipping it potted will help greatly in its travel and recovery.
The handling by the carrier is the unknown. As long as the package arrives intact, the plant should be OK.
Just a thought. If the plant will be shipped USPS, maybe delay getting the plant until they have an opportunity to catch up. They were extremely unprepared for Christmas shipping. I guess they forgot Christmas was in December, or it just snuck up on them.
I see thank you last time I got plants from them it was potted plants show some black dead traps and the soils was very wet and compact. My last resort to grow d. capensis as I have tried buying seeds oine fresh seeds but still could not keep them alive. They germinate but after a few days they get all squishy and die.

By Apollyon
I'm still blown away by how terrible they handled Christmas. Considering how covid-19 created a surge in shipping and a lot of people purchasing online, it should have stood to reason that perhaps Christmas might be busy. I still have a Heliamphora stuck in shipping that was sent out on the 8th. It finally showed an update about 2 days ago, still in the origin state (Maryland) so I'm not too optimistic about it. However, there was a forum user who had VFTs in transit for a month overseas and he was able to salvage all of them so who knows.

That aside though, Capensis are fighters and a lot more tolerant so I'm sure it'll probably be ok.
By Apollyon
cryostasis wrote:I see thank you last time I got plants from them it was potted plants show some black dead traps and the soils was very wet and compact. My last resort to grow d. capensis as I have tried buying seeds oine fresh seeds but still could not keep them alive. They germinate but after a few days they get all squishy and die.

Sorry to hear that. If you try growing them again, poke a few holes in the bag or open it and let the air cycle. That may help if you're having trouble. When I was growing them from seeds I would cycle the air daily after germination and would keep the water level relatively low, about 1/4 up the pot give or take for a time. The soil line was damp. Hopefully that helps. I have some alba seeds on a stalk right now as well as some typical I think if you want to try again. Do you live in the US?
By cryostasis
Apollyon wrote:
cryostasis wrote:I see thank you last time I got plants from them it was potted plants show some black dead traps and the soils was very wet and compact. My last resort to grow d. capensis as I have tried buying seeds oine fresh seeds but still could not keep them alive. They germinate but after a few days they get all squishy and die.

Sorry to hear that. If you try growing them again, poke a few holes in the bag or open it and let the air cycle. That may help if you're having trouble. When I was growing them from seeds I would cycle the air daily after germination and would keep the water level relatively low, about 1/4 up the pot give or take for a time. The soil line was damp. Hopefully that helps. I have some alba seeds on a stalk right now as well as some typical I think if you want to try again. Do you live in the US?
I might as well try that. I live in the Philippines. :) Got some capensis seeds arriving in a few days it got stuck on customs due to the holiday season.

Curreny been trying to grow Utricularias and Capensia from seeds.

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Sarracenia ID

Got them from mesa exotics if that helps Sent fro[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Dang. That is huge!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!