FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Okay, so this happened like two or three weeks ago. It was a 70 degree day, sun all day. So, I put my two adult pitchers outside. I hung them up on a plant hangar. My other plants were across the yard. I dozed off on the couch in the evening. husband brought the plants in and didn't realize I put the neps out. Well, temps dropped to 27 (yay Pennsylvania). The pitchers were frozen solid. Most of the leaves and pitchers turned brown. It was.... not pretty. It was obviously damaged. So I cut off the bad leaves. I feel like it should be a scene in a movie. Crazy woman sobs while cutting off the plants drinking crazy amounts of alcohol and questioning life. So here's what I have left. I see two small sprouts in the bottom that seem to be just fine. They were there just during the freeze. So you guys think the larger plants will recover?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
It's possible that the stem will send out side shoots so I would keep it and just see how it grows. If it's still a brown stem in a month or so you can cut it off. Those basal shoots should replace the plant pretty quickly anyways.

I also had some days in the 70's but today it's 30 and i'm getting 3 inches of snow, then back up to the 60's. I'm going to go nuts if I don't build a greenhouse this year.
By Cross
SundewWolf wrote:It's possible that the stem will send out side shoots so I would keep it and just see how it grows. If it's still a brown stem in a month or so you can cut it off. Those basal shoots should replace the plant pretty quickly anyways.

I also had some days in the 70's but today it's 30 and i'm getting 3 inches of snow, then back up to the 60's. I'm going to go nuts if I don't build a greenhouse this year.
Yeah this weather is just crazy huh? It was snowing the other day and today it's like a beautiful summer day with glorious thunderstorms. I'm going to let my other plants take in some water, then bring them up under the cover. I wonder if it will send up shoots. I wonder if I can do the whole stick the cuttings into dirt propagation

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!