FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Uk Vft
Ello All
I was brought my Vft and all looks well so far :shock: but ive noticed a smaller cluster of leaves beside the larger main cluster, im thinking of re-potting it anyway but was wondering if i should separate them?
Both are producing new leaves and are currently munching on flies n ants :D the ants i helped them with when it arrived but the flies were caught when i gave them some outside sunlight, im keeping it in my conservatory which faces south so gets light all day long(Im in the uk so sun is rare)!

Cheers all
Attachments:
Uk Vtf's beast.
Uk Vtf's beast.
IMAG0166.jpg (391.42 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
By jrmc114064
I had the same thing except that the plant was much smaller and i separated them and the small plant is starting to create new growth.

Here is the mother plant

And here is the plant

The original growth before i separated the plant are the dying and the new growth is coming from the center.
By Darkrai283
Wait until winter/spring to repot and divide it a Matt said. Divisions attached to the mother plant grow bigger faster than divisions separated as it gets nutrients from the mother plant when it is still attached.

I noticed that you got the vft from Alistair at South West Carnivorous plants. May I ask which cultivar it is? :)
By Uk Vft
Thanks all for the replies

Matt <-- Thanks mate, i wasn't sure if the pot was to small, i was just going on something i read somewhere that plants can be sold in bad condition and usually need repotting straight away. obviuosly not in this case :) ill do like you say and leave it now till next yr to re-pot n separate.

jrmc114064 <-- Nice mate, hopefully mine does as good as yours does when i attempt it :o

Darkrai283 <-- Hello mate, im so new to all types of gardening i had to google what cultivar was hahaha, i think its an original but not 100% sure as it was brought on Amazon so it was a random purchase through a separate company from Alistair at South West Carnivorous plants.
Thanks for the info on re-potting/divide.
By Matt
Uk Vft wrote:Thanks mate, i wasn't sure if the pot was to small
It's hard to tell the size of the pot from the photos. Depth is more important than width, so as long as the pot is 3+ inches deep (4 is better), the plant should be fine it it as long as you don't keep it sitting in water.
Uk Vft wrote:i was just going on something i read somewhere that plants can be sold in bad condition and usually need repotting straight away
That is often true, but there is also the option of flushing the soil with distilled water to rinse out any mineral build up that may have happened when the plant was at the retailer (they often water them with tap water). Or, if the soil is broken down it may be beneficial to repot. Judging by the health of the plant, I'd say that the soil is probably fine.
By jamez
Darkrai283 wrote:Wait until winter/spring to repot and divide it a Matt said. Divisions attached to the mother plant grow bigger faster than divisions separated as it gets nutrients from the mother plant when it is still attached.

I noticed that you got the vft from Alistair at South West Carnivorous plants. May I ask which cultivar it is? :)

It may seem this way, but this is incorrect. They will stay the same. The division makes it's own roots. it's almost like a huge leaf stuck on the plant. So it is two plants but conjoined as if it were one, It may transfer nutrients but i doubt it. The divisions separate naturally and it's best to wait until they do. When repotting people get hyped up over division and snap the plant. The plant's division will fall off or move in another direction away from the mother.
By Darkrai283
jamez wrote:It may seem this way, but this is incorrect. They will stay the same. The division makes it's own roots. it's almost like a huge leaf stuck on the plant. So it is two plants but conjoined as if it were one, It may transfer nutrients but i doubt it. The divisions separate naturally and it's best to wait until they do. When repotting people get hyped up over division and snap the plant. The plant's division will fall off or move in another direction away from the mother.
Hmmm? You sure?
I tried this with 3 typicals grown in the same conditions last year as they had newly grown divisions. I detached one of the divisons (they all had roots) and planted it in the same pot as the mother plant. The ones attached on the mother plants tripled in size in 1-2 months compared to the ones detached.
By jamez
Darkrai283 wrote:
jamez wrote:It may seem this way, but this is incorrect. They will stay the same. The division makes it's own roots. it's almost like a huge leaf stuck on the plant. So it is two plants but conjoined as if it were one, It may transfer nutrients but i doubt it. The divisions separate naturally and it's best to wait until they do. When repotting people get hyped up over division and snap the plant. The plant's division will fall off or move in another direction away from the mother.
Hmmm? You sure?
I tried this with 3 typicals grown in the same conditions last year as they had newly grown divisions. I detached one of the divisons (they all had roots) and planted it in the same pot as the mother plant. The ones attached on the mother plants tripled in size in 1-2 months compared to the ones detached.

Yes :D

3? I tried it with 500+

It could be growing conditions that make it different but I keep my flytraps that I've tested this on growing in the best environment possible. (Outside when temps are in the 70s and 80s inside a cooled greenhouse when they raise above 89, also in the greenhouse in the winter; it's 40s outside and I keep the greenhouse a few degrees warmer)
By GothicJackalPaws
jamez wrote:

3? I tried it with 500+

It could be growing conditions that make it different but I keep my flytraps that I've tested this on growing in the best environment possible. (Outside when temps are in the 70s and 80s inside a cooled greenhouse when they raise above 89, also in the greenhouse in the winter; it's 40s outside and I keep the greenhouse a few degrees warmer)
Given that they're native to North Carolina, they're used to temperatures that sky-rocket to the nineties, and so long as they have lots of sun and little humidity, they're a bunch of happy little buggers.

In the winter, our temps typically reach down to the mid-twenties in the morning and go up to the mid-thirties by January. Until then, in late October to mid-December we have mild winter temperature in the mid-forties.

I doubt this makes any difference, I'm just letting you know what conditions wild VFTs tend to deal with and are adapted to. We get ridiculously hot summers, and mild-to-freezing winters.
By jamez
GothicJackalPaws wrote:
jamez wrote:

3? I tried it with 500+

Given that they're native to North Carolina, they're used to temperatures that sky-rocket to the nineties, and so long as they have lots of sun and little humidity, they're a bunch of happy little buggers.

In the winter, our temps typically reach down to the mid-twenties in the morning and go up to the mid-thirties by January. Until then, in late October to mid-December we have mild winter temperature in the mid-forties.

I doubt this makes any difference, I'm just letting you know what conditions wild VFTs tend to deal with and are adapted to. We get ridiculously hot summers, and mild-to-freezing winters.
Yes the higher air temperature is in the 90s there. When they are wet the temperature evens out to about 80s. I've used a digital thermometer there many times. The shading, water and the fact that they're in the ground makes the air cooler.

They can take 90s, but as I said I give the plants what they PREFER and do better in. Flytraps grow faster in the 70s and 80s better than they doo in 90s.

And trust me, I know more than you about flytraps(not meant in a rude way, I've been growing CP's before you were born, as long as you're less than 50 years old. My join date is not the day I started growing.
By GothicJackalPaws
jamez wrote:
GothicJackalPaws wrote:

Yes the higher air temperature is in the 90s there. When they are wet the temperature evens out to about 80s. I've used a digital thermometer there many times. The shading, water and the fact that they're in the ground makes the air cooler.

They can take 90s, but as I said I give the plants what they PREFER and do better in. Flytraps grow faster in the 70s and 80s better than they doo in 90s.

And trust me, I know more than you about flytraps(not meant in a rude way, I've been growing CP's before you were born, as long as you're less than 50 years old. My join date is not the day I started growing.
Well, I wouldn't know what they prefer, I only know what they get in the wild. Wild doesn't always equate preferred, but it gives you a good ballpark, which was my intention.

Haha, yeah, you've been growing them way longer than I have. I've only been growing them for about 6 years now. I still thought I'd just throw that stuff out, in case it made any difference, which I can now see that it doesn't.
By Uk Vft
Just an update...
Ive successfully Divided and re-potted my plants, after a long cold winter here in the UK there starting to wake up from dormancy finally lol, I was wondering if both plants will divide again this year? ive noticed a small growth of tiny traps on the outside of 1 of the enzymes so im hoping that is dividing...
Ive lost track of which is the original plant ....Tut.... as I was hoping to let 1 of them flower this year so I can attempt to grow a few from seed.
By LAKJP
Yes, it is possible. If seedlings and younger VFT's can, I don't see any reason why yours cannot. :)
By Uk Vft
Yep I hope so, I just wish summer would kick in so that they get a good chance to wake up n grow. :-)

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!