FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By alpharay_VFTs
Self-Pollination or Cross-Pollination?

Which produces more genetic variation in offspring? Based on your experience and any other source..

I'm not sure if this is a simple question but I suspected VFTs may be different to other organisms somehow..
By Anymal911
SerMuncherIV wrote:Cross pollination, hands down. Selfing doesn't even always produce viable offspring, and almost all of the time selfed seed is weaker.
But if you're trying to produce more copies of a cultivar, the only way to do so is by cloning (propagation and tissue culture). Otherwise the offspring are just classified as "seed-grown Venus Flytraps" with special characteristics.
By SerMuncherIV
Exactly. Genetics with VFTs are exactly the same as genetics with any other plants. Cross pollinating will always result in more genetic variability, since you enhance the gene pool, and cultivars can only preserve their genetic integrity through cloning. For example, if I crossed two B52s, the resulting cross would NOT be considered a B52 - you would call it a "B52 x B52". If I selfed a B52 and got viable seed (unlikely), same story - it still would not be considered a B52. Recombination during gamete formation guarantees that the genes will be mixed up, resulting in different phenotypes even if the seed came only from one parent and its one set of chromosomes.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By Anymal911
SerMuncherIV wrote:Recombination during gamete formation guarantees that the genes will be mixed up, resulting in different phenotypes even if the seed came only from one parent and its one set of chromosomes...
...which is how new cultivars are made.
By katya_dog1
SerMuncherIV wrote:I love how everything connects. It makes me feel so very satisfied inside. :D
Same here. Good answers. :)
By AaaaNinja
Anymal911 wrote:
SerMuncherIV wrote:Cross pollination, hands down. Selfing doesn't even always produce viable offspring, and almost all of the time selfed seed is weaker.
But if you're trying to produce more copies of a cultivar, the only way to do so is by cloning (propagation and tissue culture). Otherwise the offspring are just classified as "seed-grown Venus Flytraps" with special characteristics.
Selfing doesn't make clones. The only way to make clones is to literally grow new plants from pieces of the original plant. (Propagation is for cloning AND all other forms of multiplying plants which includes breeding. It simply means to increase the number of plants. You have to say 'Propagate by cloning' or 'Propagate by tissue culture' or 'propagate by crossbreeding' but you can't say 'clone by propagation').

Tissue cultures can mutate, so new cultivars don't always have to be seed-grown.
By Anymal911
katya_dog1 wrote:
SerMuncherIV wrote:I love how everything connects. It makes me feel so very satisfied inside. :D
Same here. Good answers. :)
Sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!