FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
It's my first try with Utricularia. U gibba arrived in a small baggie with what looks to be pond-bottom mush. I can't see any utrics but assume they are in there. I tipped this brown "soup" into a large yogurt tub with base layer peat, then sand, filled up with fresh rainwater. Placed in bright indirect light. Does this sound okay? Or should I do something different?
By plantnerdjules
The next day I noticed many thin worm-like critters in there, 10 to 25 mm long, about 1/2" to 1", very active. Perhaps aquatic worms or larvae.? Does anyone know what they are? And are they a potential problem?
Attachments:
aquatic_wormlike_critters_with utrics.jpg
aquatic_wormlike_critters_with utrics.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3491 times
By MikeB
plantnerdjules wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:00 am The next day I noticed many thin worm-like critters in there, 10 to 25 mm long, about 1/2" to 1", very active. Perhaps aquatic worms or larvae.? Does anyone know what they are? And are they a potential problem?
Tubifex worms, maybe?
plantnerdjules liked this
By evenwind
If you do have tubifex, you may have a different problem: tubifex are also called the sludge worm or sewage worm. They like dirty surroundings. Your growing medium may be in bad shape...
By plantnerdjules
Thanks for the warning evenwind. If I could remove these critters I would, but I don't see how I could do that without losing the tiny bits of utric.

My container and media were new and fresh. Don't know the state of the seller's pond which is where these critters came from, together with the utrics. But I think it would be okay, all the other plants I bought from this seller are good and clean.

I'm trying to narrow down the id of these worms. After searching a lot of info, I think they might be Lumbriculus rather than Tubifex. Not sure, still worried... :?
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!