FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By mnwatson1
So after doing a bit of research, I found that orchids are difficult, though definitely not impossible to grow from seed, without doing tissue culture. I realize it takes years to get a mature, blooming plant, however I decided to cross pollinate my two orchids several months ago. My larger orchid (white) has just had the seed pod split, whereas my small purple one is still maturing, pod-wise.

These are phalenopsis orchids, and I had read seed pods took 9-12 months to mature, so I was surprised to see mine had after roughly 3-4 months.

Anyone have any pointers on germinating/growing these? I know about the additives/chopping parent's roots to promote growth. Anything else I should know? Also, can I store the seeds long term? How should I do so?

Thanks!!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
mnwatson1 liked this
By Marine botonist kid
Orchids only seem to germinate on a area that already has an orchid growing in it. Orchid seeds wont germinate like normal plplants because they need a certain bacteria to help water get to the core. This particular bacteria comes from mother plants, or on the medium that has had an orchid growing in it already. Water cannot penetrate the outer shell of the seed without that bacteria, from what I've learned.
By mnwatson1
I knew about that, hence the chopping the parent's root on the area where the seeds are sown. I just didn't know if there were other tips I might want to consider. :)
By Marine botonist kid
Time till' repotting. They may have fragile roots at the start
By mnwatson1
I'll definitely remember to give plenty of room to keep from having to repot as much. :) Thanks!
By Kevonicus
Let us know any updates. I've just started getting into orchids myself! Can't go wrong with $3 orchids on lowes clearance :).
By mnwatson1
Kevonicus wrote:Let us know any updates. I've just started getting into orchids myself! Can't go wrong with $3 orchids on lowes clearance :).
So right! I got my little purple one from there for a quarter! I haven't down then yet, but I plan to soon. I crossed my white and my purple, but the purple one still just has a pod, so I'm waiting on it. :). The seeds from my white one I'm still deciding how best to sow them.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!