FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bisnicks
Hello,

So around early October, I planted about 20 flytrap seeds. Quite a few of them germinated. I been watching them grow but not much has happened. They have formed some nice small clumps and some nice red coloration, yet each plant is easily smaller than a dime. I water them regularly, they're covered in saran wrap which has a slit in it, they're fairly close to my growlight (6-8 inches), and the grow light is on for about 14 hours a day this time of year. They didn't go through dormancy this year since they're so young. Other flytraps that I grow are about 12-14 inches away from the grow light and grow vigorously and with great coloration.

Any ideas? If you would like pictures, I can provide some!

Thanks!

Mid-October

Mid-December

Early March 2013

By parker679
That looks about right. They're not kidding when they say VFT seedlings grow slowly.

Year old plants are maybe the size of a quarter. Usually you'll get your grow spurts after dormancy which I imagine yours skipped since theyre inside.
By beckhamlim24
Is this red piranha? If it is, red piranha grow very slowly and its maximum size is also quite small.
By bisnicks
beckhamlim24 wrote:Is this red piranha? If it is, red piranha grow very slowly and its maximum size is also quite small.
Not sure what all is growing. I assume a mix. I was given these seeds as a freebie when I won an auction for a Jaws flytrap.
By parker679
This is my largest most robust seedling. This picture is from a month ago and I planted them at the end of June, so about 3 months before yours. They get full direct Sun and still the largest was maybe 3/8 of an inch across, that's the plant, not per trap. And this one is significantly larger than the rest.

They're very slow their first year unless you're growing them in TC. I think your plants look healthy and you have some really nice red ones.

parker679 liked this
By Matt
bisnicks wrote:They have formed some nice small clumps and some nice red coloration, yet each plant is easily smaller than a dime.
As others have already said, your seedlings look to be about the right size for their age. They don't usually get larger than a dime (on average) until after a year or so. They look quite healthy, so that's good!
bisnicks wrote:I water them regularly, they're covered in saran wrap which has a slit in it
Might be time to remove the saran wrap. It could potentially cause problems with mold and algae growth.
Matt liked this
By bisnicks
Thanks for the info guys! I'll try and acclimate them to less humidity as you mentioned. This is the first time growing from seed so I was a little concerned that they hadn't made much progress.
By Lee
Hey,
Your coloration on your VFT's are amazing, ive only got a small amount of coloration how did you get them so vibrant? mine grew well over the summer period on my window sill and now very large after a year or so so dont give up!
By bisnicks
Novicegrower wrote:Hey,
Your coloration on your VFT's are amazing, ive only got a small amount of coloration how did you get them so vibrant? mine grew well over the summer period on my window sill and now very large after a year or so so dont give up!
Thanks! I imagine a lot of the coloration is because of the VFTs they came from. I believe it's just a mix, I received it free of charge when I won an auction. Other than that, I would have to thank my grow light for the coloration (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TJ ... e=&seller=)

Seriously, that thing is incredible. My plants have great coloration, vigorous growth, and large traps. I'm actually able to grow better indoors here in Ohio because of how many cloudy days we have. I was growing plants outdoors for a while but they seem to prefer the light. I highly recommend it.
By Chuckv08
Bisnicks,

I also started seeds later in the season (Septemberish), but I put them through dormancy (next time I prolly won't) but they are still very tiny. Yours look great though!

They will look this small for a while, as Matt said, at least for a year or so. Good luck growing!
By MichaelG
I also put mine through dormancy, and probably won't next time. I think I lost a few when it was cold.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!