FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Budukai
I think the Sarr. that I gave to my sister for her b-day in June dumped some seeds on me. I don't really know what to do with them, I planted 3 in small pots and left them outside with the other plants, but I kinda feel like that was a dumb move. From the count, it looks to be about 20 seeds left in a plastic bag, is there some kind of experation date for them? It's getting very cold now a days, and I'm not the most knowledgable on this kind of plants growth pattern when it comes to seeds, any advice would help me use these seeds more wisely.
By Matt
Sarracenia seed can last quite a while if properly stored. Planting them outside for the winter is an option, so I wouldn't worry too much about the ones you did that with. They require a cold and wet stratification period of around 4 weeks, but a cold winter outside will work too.

The way I do Sarracenia seeds (when not doing them in vitro) is to put them in a moist paper towel for 4 weeks in the fridge. Then take them out and put them on my media of choice in a pot. Put the pot in a ziplock bag and under lights (or in my greenhouse). I get good germination that way.
By Budukai
Alright, that's good news then, I was hoping this would be the case. Thanks Matt :)
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!