FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CanadianCephalotus
Hey guys I just wanted to share a few snap shots of my seed grown N. Rafflesiana!

Keehn's carnivores had got a shipment of the little guys in from Borneo-Exotics. Obviously I couldn't resist so I added one to my order at the time :). I don't really have anything against tissue culture but if a seed grown plant presents itself (especially a nepenthes rafflesiana!) I try to get it in my collection! Anyways this little one is doing great and looks really cool!

Enjoy

**I would like to edit this post seeing as I somehow made the mistake of thinking that Rick (http://www.keehnscarnivores.com/) acquired these seed grown N. Rafflesianas from Borneo exotics which was not the case. Rick grew these seeds himself which makes them very special plants considering not many neps offered these days are seed grown (most seem to be tissue cultured or cuttings). In conclusion, I just wanted to ensure I corrected myself seeing as Rick really deserves this credit!

Thanks**
Attachments:
The plants new traps are starting to develope a little bit of colour! There getting little red specs on them :)
The plants new traps are starting to develope a little bit of colour! There getting little red specs on them :)
DSC07217.JPG (45.2 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
DSC07218.JPG
DSC07218.JPG (52.94 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
Last edited by CanadianCephalotus on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Devon
great plant! I got mine from Keehn's too! mine is just starting to put out big leaves though, haha. congrats!
By CanadianCephalotus
Hey thanks everyone! :D

One thing I noticed about this plant compared to all my other nepenthes is the rich texture of the leaves. They are a deep darkish green colour and have a hard to discribe texture but you can see it from the image, not your average nepenthes leaves... I can't help but wonder if this is a trait common with the species or could it be from a true seed grown plant considering as far as I know it is the only deffinate seed grown nepenthes I own... Who knows, but very fascinating indeed!

For those of you who said you also had one, I'd love for you to post pics of your plants on this thread to compare the differences in appearance and growth rate/patterns. :D
By Lawndude84
The texture you are speaking of I'm pretty sure is species specific. Some Neps have smooth flimsy leaves, others like my Truncata, have VERY thick hairy leaves. This is why you gotta collect em all! (bad pokemon pun :oops: )
By Devon
Mine has dark green thick leaves too, and in the summer, it had deep red leaves when I had it in full sun!
Here is mine, finally startng to put out big leaves and pitchers now that it's in a terrarium:

pitctcher gtting a little more colour:
By CanadianCephalotus
Wow what a Beauty! May I ask what your growing conditions are (temp, lighting, etc)? How long have you had yours? Thanks for posting your pictures :)!
By Devon
Thanks CanadianCeph, and Matt! I had my plant on a windowsill with a flourescent bulb on it for a while and it did well, but now since I put it in the terrarium it's been doing much better. I have it about room temps or slightly more in the terra, and I think there might be a slight tmperature drop because of turning off the lights. I also have my nep dead sphagnum moss from keehn, and I've had it since Aug I think.

And yes, all of Keehn's neps are either seed grown or tissue cultured from other plants himself. He has never made a BE impor before. He defiently deserves the credit!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!