FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Pickles6
Okay...So I have seen some flytrap seedling pictures here on flytrap care in a jar with no peat moss or soemthing. they're just growing in waterish stuff. I'm not sure if its special water or not, but can you tell me how you professiona growers do it? Just curious. Have a nice day..
By Matt
I think the best method is to simply plant them on your media of choice (I like 50% perlite, 30% silica sand and 20% perlite). Then put the pot in a plastic bag under good lighting (I use my greenhouse, but fluorescent lighting works well too) until the seeds germinate and then remove the pot from the plastic bag. I had really good luck with that this year.

In the past, I've just planted the seed in soil without doing anything special. That worked well too, but it took longer for them to germinate.

The photos that you're referring to are from people trying the pure water germination method, which works well for germination seeds quickly, but it really isn't much faster than using a plastic bag or a plastic container with a lid. Also, when they germinate in pure water, you have to transfer them to soil shortly after germination or they won't keep growing. I consider the water germination method more of a novelty than anything.
Matt liked this
By watnazn
You can germinate vft seeds in just pure water, and it works nicely. But you should transplant them as soon as you see growth.
By kevinqwe
no i think she is referring to TC with the white stuff
By budhagirl
it is november and my plant is flowering is this weird i bought it at the store about eight months ago if i pollinate it will it the seeds work in the winter time
By ModeratelyExcessive
budhagirl wrote:it is november and my plant is flowering is this weird i bought it at the store about eight months ago if i pollinate it will it the seeds work in the winter time
You can sow the seeds in winter, but you will have to keep them warm and provide artificial light until March or so.
By archimago
Matt wrote:I think the best method is to simply plant them on your media of choice (I like 50% perlite, 30% silica sand and 20% perlite).
So that adds up to 70% perlite? ;)

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!