Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here
User Avatar
javaliz59

 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am
Thanked: 28 times in 22 posts

Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by javaliz59 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:45 pm

First pitcher to grow and pitch after dormancy. Hoping the lid will unfurl. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Avatar
camsdad66

 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Opelousas, Louisiana
Thanked: 31 times in 24 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by camsdad66 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm

It will....just in the opening stages! Always nice to see the first pitcher of the season. Looks like a S. flava or hybrid containing it??

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User Avatar
javaliz59

 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am
Thanked: 28 times in 22 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by javaliz59 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:25 am

camsdad66 wrote:It will....just in the opening stages! Always nice to see the first pitcher of the season. Looks like a S. flava or hybrid containing it??

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yes, S. Flava. You're right. It's exciting to see first pitcher of many (I hope).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 343 times in 311 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by SundewWolf » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Even if it doesn't unfurl - to me it seems like every open pitcher is useful for feeding, so i would pack it with fish food and insects you catch, maxsea solution if you have it, and wait for it to digest, die off, and then have a growth spurt with all the new nutrients.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
javaliz59

 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am
Thanked: 28 times in 22 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by javaliz59 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:05 am

SundewWolf wrote:Even if it doesn't unfurl - to me it seems like every open pitcher is useful for feeding, so i would pack it with fish food and insects you catch, maxsea solution if you have it, and wait for it to digest, die off, and then have a growth spurt with all the new nutrients.
Yes I have highly diluted Maxsea so sprayed my Sarracenia open pitchers and fed them fish mini pellets. There are already some insects in there. So think we're off to good season. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Avatar
tmann51

 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by tmann51 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:30 pm

The bog garden I set up last spring and planted with numerous Sarracenia has not shown ANY signs of life as yet this spring. I covered everything with leaves, over 1 foot thick late last fall and uncovered the planter over a month ago and started watering, there has been nothing emerging. I live in mid state Wisconsin. It is making me crazy enough to start re-purchasing some of the plants and leaving them potted and placing in water trays outside. I don't want to believe that all of the plants were frost killed across the board. I'd appreciate any information from other northern state bog gardeners about this.

User Avatar
Shadowtski
Super User
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am
Thanked: 1107 times in 751 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by Shadowtski » Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm

tmann51 wrote:The bog garden I set up last spring and planted with numerous Sarracenia has not shown ANY signs of life as yet this spring. I covered everything with leaves, over 1 foot thick late last fall and uncovered the planter over a month ago and started watering, there has been nothing emerging. I live in mid state Wisconsin. It is making me crazy enough to start re-purchasing some of the plants and leaving them potted and placing in water trays outside. I don't want to believe that all of the plants were frost killed across the board. I'd appreciate any information from other northern state bog gardeners about this.



I'm in the Milwaukee metro area.
I brought a bunch of temperate and hardier Sub-Tropical stuff outside around Easter when we had a few nice days.
Since then, the plants have been stuck in stasis, just sitting there shivering.
My Sarracenia purpurea and one Drosera rotundifolia are just now starting to show signs of life.
My other rotundifolias are still locked up inside their hibernacula.

I'm leaving them outside because Spring has to arrive here eventually..... doesn't it?

User Avatar
tmann51

 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by tmann51 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Is there any way to determine if Sarracenia rootstocks are viable without seeing any new growth? I'm about ready to unearth the stuff from the bog garden, and repot into new media and see what happens but how to tell if anything is actually alive is the problem.

User Avatar
steve booth

 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 pm
Location: Birmingham UK
Thanked: 220 times in 189 posts

Re: Sarracenia waking up from dormancy

by steve booth » Tue May 21, 2019 9:02 am

Have a look at the roots and rhizome, just knick the rhizome with a knife and if you see white, then its probably OK, if its brown check further and see if its al brown in which case it's dead. Roots should be brown but with new white roots.
Cheers
Steve


Return to Pitcher Plants

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests