FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cambrian
Before discovering this forum, I had ill treated my flytraps and sarracenia. I kept it in shade as the nursery which I bought it from told me to do so :( Due to improper care, my flytrap died. However, my sarracenia stayed the same and appeared to be unaffected. Well, the only difference now is that it grows faster with a few hours of direct sunlight since I discovered this forum. Can anyone tell me whether sarracenia are truly tougher than dionaea?
By Coldzercp
A Venus Flytrap is like a wooden shield drown it in water and it breaks down but a sarracenia is more like a sheet of plastic... water do nothing :D

True story
P.S Purps are strong :D
Coldzercp liked this
By Starchy
Cambrian wrote:Is it? Well, better take real goooood care of my sarra, treat it real nice. Hahahaha!
To be a bit more specific, I purchased a starter kit at Home Depot in June 2012. It consisted of a 3" seedling plastic container, peat, and dead LFS. It was curious because the peat came in 2 separate bags. The whole setup was essentially enough to start 1 plant. I ended up buying my own peat, sand, perlite, etc. and didn't use the Home Depot starter kit. So, it sat there unused for about 6 months.

I was cleaning out some of the shed where all my CP supplies are, and decided to open up the starter kit to use the 3" plastic container for a seedling. I was shocked when I realized one of the bags of peat had a Sarr and VFT rhizome! They were bone dry and dead looking (almost powdery). I planted them in the given peat, added some sand, and placed them in a humidity dome for a few months. Only the VFT came back, and is now actually outside in full sun.
Starchy liked this
By Coldzercp
.......But when sarracenia is treated bad they would become like dust in the air......

*cough forgot to continue my sentence
ya Amazing that the Venus Flytrap survived and the sarracenia didn't sad though but you did save one of them :D

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!