FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lil_Trapz+
I'm putting my VFT down in the basement where its about 40F next to a window. Will this be okay for a Sarracenia purpurea (Burke's Purple Pitcher)??? And its growning way to big for its pot (it has 10 pitchers compared to the 3 when I first got it this spring!!!) Anyways when is the best time to do this and how?? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!
By Veronis
Yes the purp can sit right next to the VFT in a sunny window. That's perfect.

Move the whole pot, water them a lot less during winter months (don't let soil dry out). The shorter day cycles and the colder temps will send them into dormancy.

You can do this now. It's a good time for your location. Are you closer to NW Wisconsin or SE?

If you're closer to the 3b hardiness zone where it gets really cold, monitor the temps at the window to make sure your plants don't freeze over. A few nights at 32 won't kill em (especially not the purp) but an extended period of days in the 20's (if the air around the pot itself gets that cold, what with potential -20 degrees outside) might kill both. Here's a hardiness zone map for your state in case you're not sure (the lower the number, the colder it is):
https://www.wisconline.com/almanac/gard ... iness.html

Repot in the spring. And since your purp put up so many new pitchers, it may have two rhizomes now. If so, separate them carefully when you repot and you will have TWO purps. Your flytrap can also be divided if it has two rhizomes.

Good luck.
By Lil_Trapz+
Wow thanks!! It doesn't look like its splitting because all the pitchers are coming from the same spot. I live in the dark blue area. Would it be alright to plant the pitcher, the VFT, and the cobra lily I might be getting in one big pot??
By Veronis
Lil_Trapz+ wrote:Wow thanks!! It doesn't look like its splitting because all the pitchers are coming from the same spot. I live in the dark blue area. Would it be alright to plant the pitcher, the VFT, and the cobra lily I might be getting in one big pot??
Cobra Lily can be planted with the purp, because they love lots of water.

The VFT likes less water. Difference is you water American pitcher plants where you don't let the tray dry out. With a flytrap you should ideally only water the tray after it's completely evaporated (but well before the soil starts to dry).

You could put all three in the same pot, but you'd have to water the pitcher plants a little less than they like so your VFT doesn't get root rot (the pitcher plants would live..). So up to you, really.
By Lil_Trapz+
Well, I ended up getting a beautiful nepenthes. I might put the purp and VFT together but probably not.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!