FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Echo
Hi, all. I was given a sarracenia a couple weeks ago, and in that amount of time I've noticed large red spots spreading on the leaves. It's not just older leaves--it's now on younger pitchers too. Anybody have any clue what could cause this?
20180823_175922.jpg
20180823_175922.jpg (820.24 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
20180823_175915.jpg
20180823_175915.jpg (933.5 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
There's a dead brown spot in the middle of each red blotch. The plant is in full sun around 8 hours a day. It was in a greenhouse before it came to me--I have it on a water tray filled with distilled/rainwater for moisture and humidity (and yes!! watering with ONLY distilled water and pure rainwater.) I haven't filled the water tray it's sitting in much as we've had a good amount of rain, maybe low humidity is the problem? I'm new to sarracenia so any tips or pointers are appreciated!!
By KategoricalKarnivore
Looks like normal leaf damage to me. If it was on developing pitchers it would be something to worry about but it should be just fine.
By pastelgalaxy748
IVE BEEN GETTING THIS TOO but they're on my older pitchers, and my new ones seem just fine. i dont think its necessarily a disease, but maybe something to do with the sun exposure, but im not sure

i wouldnt worry too much :)
By Caramelmarkie
I would think of it as an insect damage. The damage looks very localized.

Here are some tips and points I had learned from plant pathology (In my own words... correct or add if I missed something):
1. localized damage – when it appeared on just spots on your plant. These are commonly caused by physical damage (insects, wind, humans, water contamination, etc). Sun exposure can be localized also, let‘s say a leaf had been sitting in too much heat intensity from direct exposure. Normally, these could be addressed if the cause is identified immediately.

2. systemic infection – can be seen all through out the plant. A typical symptom would be that the younger leaves exhibits the symptom similar to the mature ones. Normally cause by bacteria or fungi. Secondary infection may also occur, let‘s say an insect or phsycal damage had left a passage for the pathogen to get into the plant. Normally hard to treat, but possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Believe it or not its sunburn. Mine did the exact same thing, eventually the spots will spread to the entire pitcher and the pitchers will die.

But not to worry, it will bounce right back.

Here is an example. Wish i had gotten pictures when they just had spots but i ended up taking pictures after they had spread.

Sarracenia Purp. early spring, severely sun burned

After

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!