FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bluemoon
I know that for best results and long-term growth, all Sarracenia need full sun. However, I only have a balcony that gets partial shade. For reference, my Neps and Pings don't develop any reddish coloration in this amount of sunlight (but they will under indoor lights). This is one of the reasons I stopped growing Sarrs, but I've heard that some are more amenable to less-than-full sun than others. Specifically, psittacina, minor, and purpurea. Is there any truth to this hearsay? Would it be possible to grow any Sarrs in partial shade that wouldn't be completely green and actually thrive?
By steve booth
How do you define your partial shade? To me partial shade would indicate full sun for some period, what is the sun to shade ratio?
All Sarracenia’s need sun to flourish lack of it creates green leggy growth, he more sun the better the colour.
Cheers
Steve
By Bluemoon
There's a large tree right next to my balcony, so I'd say I never have any full sun.

I define partial shade as not getting full sun, aka slightly dappled due to the location and the aforementioned large tree in the way. I have no idea of the sun to shade ratio unfortunately; I've never used a luxmeter or anything closely resembling a scientific way to measure light. I had some VFTs growing there a few years back and they stayed green; I don't think they thrived.
By FLTropical
Pupurea died a slow death in full sun for me, and thrives in bright shade. Then again, I’m in south Florida - I tan in bright shade here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Bluemoon wrote: Would it be possible to grow any Sarrs in partial shade that wouldn't be completely green and actually thrive?
No
By Bluemoon
Thanks to all for your responses. I figured all Sarrs needed full sun but wanted to ask the experts to be sure, as some of them look very nice and I'd like to grow them again one day.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!