FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
I recently received some Sarracenia Divisions and repotted them. I am wondering if they need any special care after repotting. Also should I put them in full sun, or give them some time to recover in partial sun. Thanks for your Help!!
By CPhunter101
thepitchergrower wrote:I recently received some Sarracenia Divisions and repotted them.
A picture would be quite helpful.
thepitchergrower wrote:I am wondering if they need any special care after repotting.
Well, sort of. You need to start by acclimating your sarrs to your environment.
That means slowly giving them more sun and heat/temperature (the safe and sane way).
That also means that you can leave them in full sun and let them acclimate themselves (the riskier but quicker way that I usually take).
Remember: California sunlight is HOT and pitchers will burn upon initial contact.
This is normal and your sarrs will be fine after a couple of weeks.
During these first few weeks, make sure that your sarrs stay hydrated and moist.
Panman, thepitchergrower, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By thepitchergrower
Thanks, I am standing them in water in full sun. If I am standing them in water, what should be the water level, so that they don't rot? I am currently standing them in 2 inches or so of water.
By Panman
How deep is the pot and what species are they? 2 inches in a pot that is 10 inches tall is fine for a flava or purp but too much for a leuco.
By CPhunter101
thepitchergrower wrote:Is there anyway to tell from just the rhizome crown?
No, it's very difficult to tell without pitchers (impossible), but once it does produce pitchers, we'll still have to guess.
For all we know, you might've bought yourself a complex hybrid.
Unless it's a pure species or a simple hybrid/cultivar, the chances of indentification is low.
That's why I prefer to buy labeled sarrs over the cheaper unidentified sarrs.
By Supercazzola
A lesson I learned the hard way is you’re better off not keeping them in as high of a water level as you think. They are weak from the division, and need to heal from the experience. I drop the water levels in my 1020 trays for plants that are divided.
Also, please isolate them from your other plants until you have had them for a month or so. I do that to guarantee that my new plants are free of pests, including pathogens…
Panman, MaxVft, MikeB liked this

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!