FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By keletkezes
Hi all,

I have a S. 'hybride' (yeah, I know, most useful plant label ever!) and a P. weser in a shallow tray. Both are about 10x the size they were when my friend bought me them for my birthday 6 years ago. They've been on the backroom windowsill for the past year, which is a very sunny, very warm room. My VFTs are also here from wake-up until outside time (they went outside for the first time this year, all three plant types, and they LOVED it).

During dormancy, I take my VFTs to the attic-room or attic/first-floor landing windowsill and let them kip. This seems to work well. There's plenty of light but no direct sunlight (NE facing, UK). The VFTs only had their first dormancy last year, and it's worked well so far.

Can I also move my shallow tray of S. and P. to those windowsills? It doesn't get too cold, but it does go down to about 5°C I reckon, in the coldest winter nights. Both my plants don't seem to have any particular sequence (flowering a bit randomly etc.) but I've read that the S. should have some sort of dormancy, and the P. doesn't mind too much. Or shall I leave them on the 15-30°C windowsill? Thoughts?
By steve booth
Hi Keletezes

The Sarracenia ideally neds a doormancy temperature of 3-10C so your window cill sounds like it fits the bill nicely. If if is a purpurea hybrid (you may be able to tell from the hood shape or pitcher angle) you could leave it outside in the UK, I leave all my species outside (UK) with a minimum of protection and they do fine, but to be on teh safe side the window cill sounds fine.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By keletkezes
They were both fine together! Left them out all winter 2013-14 as it was so mild, but the slugs ate all my Ping and no signs since :( Considering replacing it but the slug-damaged Sarracenia has sprung anew and attempted a takeover bid, so I'll let it settle :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!