FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, I received this plant from Matt about a month or so ago (Thanks Matt!) and I was incredibly surprised when the plant wasted no time in beginning to flower as well as put out pitchers for the season. Less than two weeks. Needless to say I'm excited about it and it inspired me to create a thread tracking its progress. I may do the same with some of my more interesting Sarrs. Currently, the largest pitcher on the plant is about 10 inches long.

I'll post an update later on when it does something else. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to self the plant and see if I can get some species seeds out to share. The flower has since almost opened and now I'm hitting google for protips.
Matt liked this
By Panman
I've got one in dormancy that isn't budging but another that I sprouted from a blind rhizome last fall. It has been under lights all winter and is about 5 inches tall.
Attachments:
20210207_175613.jpg
20210207_175613.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 3980 times
By ChefDean
I also got one from Matt, and it looks like I'll be able to put my sleeping plants outside by the weekend. Hopefully mine does half as well as yours.
Apollyon, Supercazzola, Matt liked this
By hungrycarnivores
ChefDean wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 am I also got one from Matt, and it looks like I'll be able to put my sleeping plants outside by the weekend. Hopefully mine does half as well as yours.
Chef, I normally grow my baby rubras of that size (shown above) indoors. I find they're not fans of extremes, and although I put normal rubras/alatas and stuff outdoors, I keep all the alabaminensis, jonseii, and wheryii (rare ones) indoors on a sunny window. I find they don't really need dormancy too much, and they grow MUCH faster. Once they outgrow the 1020 pots, I then stick em outside.

Also, for anyone wanting some seeds with rubra, here's what's coming soon.

(Oreo x Rubra) x Oreo Natural Hybrid - 1/4 Rubra
(Oreo x Rubra) x (Alabaminensis x Minor 'okee giant') - 1/2 Rubra
(Oreo x Rubra) x (Oreo x Rubra "different clone, not selfed") - 1/2 Rubra
Rubra x Alabimensis - 1 Rubra
(Oreo x Rubra) x Alabaminensis - 3/4 Rubra
(Oreo x Rubra) x Jonseii - 3/4 Rubra.

Hopefully I will donate some as well.

Lastly, you can always HMU with a SASE and I will send you some pollen for seed split if you don't want to self the plant!
Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
Crazy how fast this one is growing. Wanted to get a pic with the flower and some pitchers opened up. Second growth point is doing work. There are a couple more pitchers growing in kinda hidden behind the stalk. Think I might try to slip-pot it into a larger container lol
Supercazzola, ChefDean, Matt liked this
By ChefDean
You're making me impatient for mine. However, I have them outside and my Sarrs and VFT's are waking up quickly in the Tennessee sun.
My alabamensis was putting up a thicc stalk when I got it, and it's putting out some pitchers.
Now if my oreophila will grow a little quicker so I can get some seeds available for requests.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I was kinda caught off guard by the growth from my plants this year. I remember it being around now or late march when it started but these guys have been moving since the end of Feb. VFTs aren't putting out summer leaves yet but they're ramping up their rate of growth.

I was surprised by the maturity of the rhizome. I tried pollinating it, we'll see if it took. Hoping to have some seeds to send in too.
By hungrycarnivores
Anyone have spares to donate me, and I will donate you later? Mine sadly died of root rot, my biggest specimen.
By ChefDean
Apollyon wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:29 amI was surprised by the maturity of the rhizome. I tried pollinating it, we'll see if it took. Hoping to have some seeds to send in too.
My first time pollinating a Sarr was last year. The research I found said the flowers were receptive only two or three days, and all five stigma needed to be hit. So I pollinated it every day for two weeks and got some rubra cross seeds that I gave away last year.
Good luck
Apollyon, Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
Yeah, this was my first shot at it. I didn't get to do it multiple times. I did it about a week ago or so as well as I attempted today but the leftover pollen was nowhere to be found for one reason or another. Still, I attempted to brush down there and hit the points. My Hurricane Creek clones appear to be starting. Hopefully I'll get an HC cross. A lot of them are new so I'm not really sure what to expect out of them yet.
By Apollyon
I hadn't thought about it though that makes a lot of sense. As it stands, the only other that has a flower is this one. I'm unsure how many I'll have but if there are more than two I'll bag it. My black alata may flower, too bad my red one is a juvenile. I'd love to see how dark that cross would get. Couple years :/ You going to use osmocote this year? I was reading about it last year and was going to wait for spring.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!